Clam type Larsen trap

1 hour ago, The one said:

They look okay  but after seeing darceys dvd i looked them up and they where priced at £75 each as i though one for the garden would be handy theres always crows or sea gulls bothering the dog bowls or bones 

you can get them way cheaper than that, the link above for eg. They'd be easy to make, the hardest part would be getting the springs. Never set them on their side like JD does I'll have to try it

8 minutes ago, Gilbey said:

you can get them way cheaper than that, the link above for eg. They'd be easy to make, the hardest part would be getting the springs. Never set them on their side like JD does I'll have to try it

Think Eddie b put a link up before showing a homemade one using shopping baskets and bunkjee cord I think 

2 minutes ago, Welsh_red said:

Think Eddie b put a link up before showing a homemade one using shopping baskets and bunkjee cord I think 

yeah I was shown one on youtube, he had the perches too high imo and it needed the baskets trimming into a better shape, I could be wrong mind

• 2 weeks later...

This came a few days ago . Looks a sturdy piece of kit . The springs are mental strong . I had to cut a few notches in one end of each of the perches to get it to sit easier 

What's the best way of dispatch anything caught . I can't imagine manual dispatch would work because it's to tough to open the cage with both hands the bird would just fly off . Is a air rifle through the cage the best way for this trap ?

46 minutes ago, Welsh_red said:

This came a few days ago . Looks a sturdy piece of kit . The springs are mental strong . I had to cut a few notches in one end of each of the perches to get it to sit easier 

What's the best way of dispatch anything caught . I can't imagine manual dispatch would work because it's to tough to open the cage with both hands the bird would just fly off . Is a air rifle through the cage the best way for this trap ?

no they aren't flimsy, mine are still in good condition after 8 or so years, can't remember how strong the springs were but the pegs aren't notched. I just slip my hand in and catch them the same as the larsens

30 minutes ago, Gilbey said:

no they aren't flimsy, mine are still in good condition after 8 or so years, can't remember how strong the springs were but the pegs aren't notched. I just slip my hand in and catch them the same as the larsens

It'll all be new to me [BANNED TEXT] , I've never used a Larsen before.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Welsh_red said:

If you have the air rifle at your disposal, and you dont intend on using them as call birds for a larsen, then shoot away.

1 hour ago, EDDIE B said:

If you have the air rifle at your disposal, and you dont intend on using them as call birds for a larsen, then shoot away.

My plan was to use them for ferret food . Plenty of pigeons/magpies etc around the garden so might just shoot them 

5 minutes ago, Welsh_red said:

My plan was to use them for ferret food . Plenty of pigeons/magpies etc around the garden so might just shoot them 

At least you wont lose any. It can be tricky grabbing them at first. 

On ‎17‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 13:52, rick12345 said:

Interested to see how you get on with it.

On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 18:57, Welsh_red said:

It'll all be new to me [BANNED TEXT] , I've never used a Larsen before.  

one with road kill and one with call bird cage

Edited by Gilbey
pics
  • Like 5