Gas ram bsa lightening 177

Can anyone help or advise me please i have the said rifle as a different option to my 177 single shot ultra but are there any possible major problems i might get as the rifles get older they are both standard so any advise on improving them would be appreciated  thanks in advance matt shaw lincs

The Lightning GRT really doesn't seem to have many fans out there.

I reckon because the gas ram is unserviceable and, most people find them harsh.

I've read that some people convert them to spring piston.

I've tried a few and, I actually like them - I think they're a good looking rifle, the shoulder nicely, the balance is good and, that fast shot cycle worked well for me.

Ahhhh. A fellow yellohhh belllehhh. 

Had a gas ram lightening. Loved it. Dropped everything it looked at, when I hit it :D 

I personally like rammers anyway. They are very much marmite though, as jonjonjonjon rightly eluded too. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Rez said:

Ahhhh. A fellow yellohhh belllehhh. 

Had a gas ram lightening. Loved it. Dropped everything it looked at, when I hit it :D 

I personally like rammers anyway. They are very much marmite though, as jonjonjonjon rightly eluded too. 

Them Lightnings are great if you take them for what they are :good:

......... You still haven't PMd me your address mate :whistling:

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Jonjon79 said:

Them Lightnings are great if you take them for what they are :good:

......... You still haven't PMd me your address mate :whistling:

And what are they? 

Pm’d address? 

A mate had one years ago [gas ram Lightning in .177] and couldn't get it to zero, he asked me to have a go at zeroing it and I couldn't manage it either, it was far too harsh, it was bouncing all over the place, needless to say he soon got rid. Now that was the only one I've tried, maybe others are fine and there was a problem with that one.

7 minutes ago, Rez said:

And what are they? 

Pm’d address? 

They're a good little rifle that recoils differently to a springer :yes:

........ I honestly think they'd be much more popular if folk went at them with less expectations.

I've been waiting for you to pm me your address so that I can send you random stuff ;)

1 hour ago, Jonjon79 said:

They're a good little rifle that recoils differently to a springer :yes:

........ I honestly think they'd be much more popular if folk went at them with less expectations.

I've been waiting for you to pm me your address so that I can send you random stuff ;)

Ahhh sorry man. I must of missed that. Been moving house so kinda fleeting visits to THL. I’ll find that thread.

please please please be something what si might send me.... :D 

1 minute ago, Rez said:

Ahhh sorry man. I must of missed that. Been moving house so kinda fleeting visits to THL. I’ll find that thread.

please please please be something what si might send me.... :D 

Take the gamble mate ;) :D

Have not used a GRT, but own to Lightning SE in .177 and .22 and I think that they are outstanding.  All to do with mind set in my opinion, if one goes into anything with a bad preconception then more than likely that is what one will find.  You will not find anything better that will bring back those fond childhood memory's if of my age than the BSA Lightning SE. 

And if one finds them crap then all is well and good, but shoot crap to a high standard then not crap must be, Well

All in just my opinion

All the very best for one and all

Edited by just-A-snap

100% dont bother with the gas ram been there done it . If your gun is shooting ok at full power just learn to shoot it . they are a nightmare to shoot but with practice you can shoot them accurately . My spring broke so I fitted a gas ram , you have to file something down a bit cannot remember what , I was told the gas rams fail in 6 mounth by a big air gun shop in london , in 6 mounths the ram failed in my bsa. while working the ram  shot very well 11.8 on the dot , it started losing power as it started to leak . the leak was visible with oil coming out . I read someone eles this problem  .So I have since tuned and fitted a spring 100% better than the gas ram( good spring tight spring guide , dumped the plastic thing in the piston and top hat thats what I did   ) .If gas rams were any good there would be loads of them out there . DONT BOTHER WITH THE GAS RAM waste of time .... Or as the bloke it the clint eastwood movie says ... Izz got sta know .

Edited by barrywhite