• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a pic mid-construction Foxdropper to give you an idea

Bed and Job Done!

Didn't cut the bottom out of our plastic pipe  due to not wanting anything extending it, our brick ones are solid floor also just quarter fill with muck to give the natural feel, also cut your plastic

Posted Images

dont want to put any pics up as to be honest i do not know what location data might be embedded☺

but its made with good 9" clay pipe, one bed and two bricked bends which are big enough to be beds, two entrances and each pipe about 6 metres to bed.

If it's not in the right place and it lets the wind blow through it it won't ever hold on a poor weather day,but dragging a dead fox through will line the walls with fox scent and maybe encourage another fox into it..

• Like 3

Funny old things artificial s have put many in over the years if it’s to there liking had foxes move in within weeks of finishing it others never had a thing in them I try to put them in areas where there are no other earths about to improve the chances of them been used have tried the warreners tip of using fox smelling water to tempt them but not found it to make a lot of difference to be honest I would say the key element is the position of the entrances I have mine facing south as you never get cold winds from that direction the last one I dug in was only a single entrance to a bed with a large stone in the centre to act like a mini roundabout have found this to be successful as it dousnt create a chimney effect of drawing a cold draught through like the double enterances have but sounds like you done a good job with that one time will tell

• Like 3

well we have done the best job we can, bulls horns shape with bed as the head. Dug into a north facing bank of a small gulley with the entrances facing directly away from the prevailing wind.

Only one natural earth on 500 acres of fox rich country, and that earth is only generally used at cubbing time.

Going to try a P shaped one next when we get enough material

The area I grew up in had some very big fields and very little cover or woods near . The area was hunted over a lot in days gone by but because of the M5 it could no longer be hunted . There were three artificials that were basically terracotta pipe about 10-15 yards long with a slab bed chamber covered with old grave stones they were just straight running in the hedge line . But I used to go over there a lot and regularly found in them , sometimes more than one , 3 was the best . I even found old billy in there , on his travels no doubt and in the days before you could get in trouble . My theory is that where there is little or no other places to hide away the daylight hours then an artificial will work well , but if there is a lot of cover and woodland and natural earths or rock piles then they may take longer to be used , if at all .

• Like 2
2 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

The area I grew up in had some very big fields and very little cover or woods near . The area was hunted over a lot in days gone by but because of the M5 it could no longer be hunted . There were three artificials that were basically terracotta pipe about 10-15 yards long with a slab bed chamber covered with old grave stones they were just straight running in the hedge line . But I used to go over there a lot and regularly found in them , sometimes more than one , 3 was the best . I even found old billy in there , on his travels no doubt and in the days before you could get in trouble . My theory is that where there is little or no other places to hide away the daylight hours then an artificial will work well , but if there is a lot of cover and woodland and natural earths or rock piles then they may take longer to be used , if at all .

There's a few I know for , up on a open hill top sheep country made exactly the way you discribe...... I checked them in the last load of snow we had:thumbs:

• Like 1

A few years ago I had a go at making one . After a chat with the local hunt terrier man we decided on a good spot . I had begged some large yellow plastic gas pipe which I cut in half lengthwise. We got the digger out and a trailer of sand which I was informed would be the best thing for the floor of the pipe . When the job was done I stood back and admired my handy work , I dreamt of all the easy bolts I would be having and chuckled to myself at how cunning and clever I was to have constructed such a brilliant artificial. Well as you’ve probably guessed it didn’t quite go to plan , rabbits moved in and quickly destroyed it . It’s still there and I often try it but so far I haven’t had one in . 1-0 to Charlie.

All ours are u shaped so one gun can cover both entrances, they're made from bricks, slabs, concrete blocks, ones made with plastic pipe and holds regular, mostly it's a quick bolt but we do have to dig a few each season,we've also had a few litters of cubs in them and all of them are used by rabbits. 

This was a morning round the artificials.

IMG_0744.PNG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
35 minutes ago, jcb said:

Read somewhere that the plastic pipes are a waste of time.anyone have much success with it.

Our plastic pipe artificial is one of the best we have, , although we've never had a litter in it in the recent snow it was being used by several different foxes, if I could get some more plastic pipe I would definitely use it