Second night nerves

Seems like most posts on this site get hijacked by some angry little man's rant! Thanks for the positive feedback from those of you who have a more realistic outlook and busy lives to live. 

On 24/03/2018 at 15:52, Steveswans1987 said:

Hello mate did you do much retrieving exercises when he was a pup or did he just naturaly retrieve that rabbit, I've got a 6 month old collie cross and seems to get bored with the ball. What do you think? Cheers 

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Attaboy said:

Seems like most posts on this site get hijacked by some angry little man's rant! Thanks for the positive feedback from those of you who have a more realistic outlook and busy lives to live. 

For all anyone knows you might be training your dog to run daytime hares where you wouldn't let a dog see anything at all for up to  2 years old ? 

8 hours ago, Steveswans1987 said:

For all anyone knows you might be training your dog to run daytime hares where you wouldn't let a dog see anything at all for up to  2 years old ? 

Well he may have only caught a few buñnies but who knows, he may have taken something much bigger?

• Like 1

Reading between the lines it sounds as though this dog is the man's first lurcher. There might be any number of reasons as to why he hasn't entered it before. Strange how a late start is slagged off by some when starting a pup early is not. Better to do things when you, the owner, are properly ready, as well as the dog, rather than going in all gung-ho and messing things up. Sounds as though the lad has had some sound instruction from a friend and is only just now coming to grips with the whole lamping hunting thing.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
58 minutes ago, skycat said:

Reading between the lines it sounds as though this dog is the man's first lurcher. There might be any number of reasons as to why he hasn't entered it before. Strange how a late start is slagged off by some when starting a pup early is not. Better to do things when you, the owner, are properly ready, as well as the dog, rather than going in all gung-ho and messing things up. Sounds as though the lad has had some sound instruction from a friend and is only just now coming to grips with the whole lamping hunting thing.

Like you say, could be any number of reasons for the age someone starts their dog.  And lets face facts here as well, 18 months isn't exactly a late start! I'd far rather that than starting too soon.  Look at the amount of dogs that suddenly become 'available' from the age of 10 - 14 months, 'just right for starting.'  They've already had the guts run out of them, and are already ruined, injured, started yapping or any amount of reasons as to why they are now suddenly 'unsuitable' or whatever for their 'owners' needs! Patience is a rare thing with the majority of lurcher and terrier owners these days.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, shaaark said:

Like you say, could be any number of reasons for the age someone starts their dog.  And lets face facts here as well, 18 months isn't exactly a late start! I'd far rather that than starting too soon.  Look at the amount of dogs that suddenly become 'available' from the age of 10 - 14 months, 'just right for starting.'  They've already had the guts run out of them, and are already ruined, injured, started yapping or any amount of reasons as to why they are now suddenly 'unsuitable' or whatever for their 'owners' needs! Patience is a rare thing with the majority of lurcher and terrier owners these days.

18 month is a pup in some cases spiecal a dog pup

5 hours ago, skycat said:

Cheers, lots of reasons... Babies, self employment, lack of kit... The main reason has been waiting for my mate to take me out, it was well worth the wait! I now have free access to his perms that cover huge tracts of cornwall, expert training and entering, use of a very good lamp and good company. If I had charged ahead without him, I would have been scratching around without a clue, clumsily sending my dog after unsuitable quarry with inferior kit. With a few summer sessions he'll be ready to go come autumn. Besides he's a part of the family that just happens to contribute considerably to the larder.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Attaboy said:

Cheers, lots of reasons... Babies, self employment, lack of kit... The main reason has been waiting for my mate to take me out, it was well worth the wait! I now have free access to his perms that cover huge tracts of cornwall, expert training and entering, use of a very good lamp and good company. If I had charged ahead without him, I would have been scratching around without a clue, clumsily sending my dog after unsuitable quarry with inferior kit. With a few summer sessions he'll be ready to go come autumn. Besides he's a part of the family that just happens to contribute considerably to the larder.

Fair play ?

Yes sky cat, first lurcher, first hunting and a steep learning curve! After the first textbook rabbit he went on to bag two more, the last one he scooped up on the run. He had eight runs in all so I was well pleased with that. Then we got chased by a herd of bullocks and got stuck up to our knees in mud?

7 hours ago, skycat said:

Reading between the lines it sounds as though this dog is the man's first lurcher. There might be any number of reasons as to why he hasn't entered it before. Strange how a late start is slagged off by some when starting a pup early is not. Better to do things when you, the owner, are properly ready, as well as the dog, rather than going in all gung-ho and messing things up. Sounds as though the lad has had some sound instruction from a friend and is only just now coming to grips with the whole lamping hunting thing

• Like 1
On 3/26/2018 at 19:06, Attaboy said:

Up to you when you start your pup:thumbs:. Huge tracts of Cornwall sounds good too. He must drive a good vehicle to get round it all. Maybe a landy or something like that? :whistling:

Edited by Maximus Ferret