Years ago we had fixed chokes and that was it. No one went out wasting cartridges messing about paterning.  No one thought about the choke that was in the gun, you just shot the thing. In amongst my guns I have multichoke but the chokes that I use dont change. I've got lots of chokes but I use the same ones all of the time. So what the score with you lot ?  That is excluding the odd front stuffer who is nostalgic for the past before choke was invented !

8 hours ago, Meece said:

Years ago we had fixed chokes and that was it. No one went out wasting cartridges messing about paterning.  No one thought about the choke that was in the gun, you just shot the thing. In amongst my guns I have multichoke but the chokes that I use dont change. I've got lots of chokes but I use the same ones all of the time. So what the score with you lot ?  That is excluding the odd front stuffer who is nostalgic for the past before choke was invented !

Your right. I don't over fuss chokes.

If I had multi options then usually half or less usually got screwed in and stayed there.

Sometimes I would open fixed full chokes but fit is way more important for me.

I did jug or recess choke a front stuffer once and achieved the desired results.

I’m still shooting the same miroku fixed choke that I bought twenty years ago , pigeon, pheasant , duck, crows in fact anything legal gets the same 32gr 5’s or what ever I’ve happened to have bought ..

Half choke stays in my autos, quarter in my 12 gauge pump, full in my mossberg hushpower 20 because that’s the only choke I’ve got for it. My sxs is fixed half and full. Fourten used to be full, now cylinder, as I cut the end off the little bugger. All the better for it as well. 9mm garden gun, who knows? Or cares......I don’t think too much about choke really. I know people who take a box of chokes with them when they go shooting.

• Like 1

with my o/u i used cyl,1/4 due to my local ground only being mostly closer targets then i went to 1/4 and 1/2 .did find i had better kills with the tighter chokes.with my auto i use 1/2 choke and have left it at that.do not really think to much about chokes these days all of my shooting is sporting clays only

As I started shooting before the event of changeable chokes I personally don't think about it much.  It's like I read so much about people going out patterning cartridges and shotguns kicking like mules (mainly side by sides).  Double triggers ( some people cant shoot a gun with double triggers) this is sort of a carry on from a previous post of mine about how sbs have gone out of favour  with many really good high quality sbs's  languishing on gun shelves or not being wanted.  Short barrels, ( gone right out of favour)  It's all a load of nonsense. OK if you really specialize in skeet or trap or long range wildfowling  then certain chokes and gun set up do provide an edge but for the run of the mill shooter these are reduced by the fact that some people just cant shoot straight and never will.  A lot of problems can be sorted out  by getting a gun that fits so the lead goes where the gun is pointed and most of the rest is psychological. I have all sorts of gun configurations and as far as I am concerned it is a case of a charge being propelled down a tube to a target  I just see the target and not a lot gets past me. I prefer open chokes in short barrels like my 25s but in the multi choke I tend to have 1/2 in both and leave them.

• Like 2

Chokes & 'BIG' shot.

How about this then, I used to belong to a beagle fox pack (gone now F#### the greens & Tony Blair) anyway I reloaded my own

AAA & SSG, in my (still got it) Berretta A303, I found by decent testing that the tighter the choke the WIDER the 'pattern' got??

Best was the cylinder bore, those SSG would smash through thick brush and take down a 50 yard Charlie, well you only needed

to catch him with one.

Did I say 'pattern' more like footprint. Hee Hee.

AndyF 

• Like 1

Iv got fixed and multi choke guns and always use 1/4 and 1/2 choke in all the multi choke ones and my fixed choke ones are as above. I think the single webley bolt action 410 is fixed full choke.   Use 6 and 5 shot for most quarry this combo has done me ok for 40 odd years of shooting

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 23/03/2018 at 20:25, andyf said:

Chokes & 'BIG' shot.

How about this then, I used to belong to a beagle fox pack (gone now F#### the greens & Tony Blair) anyway I reloaded my own

AAA & SSG, in my (still got it) Berretta A303, I found by decent testing that the tighter the choke the WIDER the 'pattern' got??

Best was the cylinder bore, those SSG would smash through thick brush and take down a 50 yard Charlie, well you only needed

to catch him with one.

Did I say 'pattern' more like footprint. Hee Hee.

AndyF 

True, big shot doesn’t like tight choke, blows the pattern.