Exercising lurchers during the summer

Any tips or advice on exercising the more high drive type lurchers now summer is approaching? My old dogs were less driven, easy enough  to just take for a walk somewhere quiet and not much bother. This one (saluki type) will end up a mile away and hunting on given half a chance. I'm going to try biking to burn a bit of energy off, do some work on reinforcing 'stop' and recall and obviously try to avoid game rich areas. Her obedience is not too bad, but it is constant 'stay in.. stay in'  to keep her in close and only a moments distraction before she is gone out of sight.

Edited by Caravan Monster

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you can get near to some water, river, lake or the sea,..there is nothing better for dogs, than a wee bit of splashing around and gentle swimming.   Great exercise,..safe on the joints and mus

I do a bit of ball work near and in the water along with running during the cooler times of day.

Get yourself down to jd pick up some 110's and trackys and keep hunting be well away then 

Posted Images

If you can get near to some water, river, lake or the sea,..there is nothing better for dogs, than a wee bit of splashing around and gentle swimming. 

Great exercise,..safe on the joints and muscles, and seems to really relax, even the most vigorous and active jukel.:yes:

DSC_6968.thumb.JPG.bff92a704b9d924e33f74911d0df549f.JPG

• Like 9

Good call on the canals Peter, got plenty around here and haven't used them for a while. Envious of those with beaches and sea nearby, great exercise and I bet salt water keeps skin and coat in good order. We're about as far as you can get from the coast here and water is mostly skanky brooks and reservoirs occupied by easily upset fishermen.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Black neck said:

That's all well and good but what about bit hare coursing no one has to know

In the absence of rabbits in  these  parts, my Beddy Whippet regularly chases hares. He never catches them, of course, but it's a good stretch for him, and no harm's done !

I'd never get him swimming - he hates water ! :laugh:

31 minutes ago, Caravan Monster said:

Good call on the canals Peter, got plenty around here and haven't used them for a while. Envious of those with beaches and sea nearby, great exercise and I bet salt water keeps skin and coat in good order. We're about as far as you can get from the coast here and water is mostly skanky brooks and reservoirs occupied by easily upset fishermen.

You must live near me :laugh:

• Haha 1