Big Brother Is Watching You

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm no on Facebook it's a site for nosey b*****d's so kinda ironic them thereselfs are getting the tables turned on them lol

Another one not on Facebook , can’t understand this fixation for telling every one every detail of your life ..they can all fcuk themselves off ..

Specifically? The fact that GCHQ/NSA are monitoring everything I do pretty much unregulated and unaccountably or that this is a massive abuse of government and liberty? The fact I'm being monitor

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Kerny92 said:

Yes and then we cry and moan about our intelligence when a terrorist attack happens.  Would you be happy to be spied on if it helped prevent terrorist attacks.

But that's not what 'soshul meeja' data is collected for, is it ?

It's used to target advertising and political campaigns - and there's growing evidence that it's being used to subvert democracy itself ! The application of filters and privacy settings means that most users inhabit their own little echo chamber - a bubble, from which all opposing views are excluded. In my view, that's how Facegram and Instabook have become havens for fake news - or, as I prefer to call it, lies !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Just now, Blackbriar said:

But that's not what 'soshul meeja' data is collected for, is it ?

It's used to target advertising and political campaigns - and there's growing evidence that it's being used to subvert democracy itself ! The application of filters and privacy settings means that most users inhabit their own little echo chamber - a bubble, from which all opposing views are excluded. In my view, that's how Facegram and Instabook have become havens for fake news - or, as I prefer to call it, lies !

I was talking in general not this instance, I'm all for it if it helps security.

1 minute ago, Kerny92 said:

Seriously does it really bother you though? 

Specifically? The fact that GCHQ/NSA are monitoring everything I do pretty much unregulated and unaccountably or that this is a massive abuse of government and liberty?

The fact I'm being monitored doesn't particularly bother me, the abuse of power does and I'd end it immediately given the power.

Do you trust the government with that power? Do you trust that the anti terror results are worth the risk of massive corruption through giving all that power to the executive government? There are certain principles and established norms in democracy for a very good reason. reasons we are forgetting in the 21stC.

This is how tyranny begins. At first the methods are excusable and once it's accepted, then the corruption slips in..... then it's too late.

I'm as guilty of negligence and apathy as anyone. It should motivate me more. But I look around to my fellow countrymen and it's your view that I see overwhelmingly dominant. I understand it, I do, I just don't agree it's the right one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
3 hours ago, Kerny92 said:

I was talking in general not this instance, I'm all for it if it helps security.

How would you feel if your data was used push political propaganda for Jeremy Corbyn because you filled out a personality test?

This isn't about military security this is about people building algorithms using your personal data and internet habits to help advertisers and subvert political campaigns and allegedly help rig elections.

Seems to be working too looking at all the love Vlad gets on here! :laugh:

Edited by ChrisJones
Typos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
3 hours ago, Kerny92 said:

Not really, I'm fully aware that what i view and post on the internet is liable to be seen by others.

But can you be sure WHO is really posting the things you read, let alone their motives for posting it ? 

4 minutes ago, Blackbriar said:

But can you be sure WHO is really posting the things you read, let alone their motives for posting it ? 

That's what we've been saying all along though, isn't it BB?

Look at any form of social media, THL included. Look how many people will recirculate stories without even verifying their accuracy. We've all done it, me included. What we're being shown here with this data breach is that not only is Facebook working exactly as it intended user submitted data is being used to target people with these articles, memes, etc and we're doing all their donkey work FOR FREE! :laugh:

Remember the GT threads "Why Am I Getting Adverts For Muslim Singles?"

This is EXACTLY why!