How times have changed

3 hours ago, Gav said:

They would come in your garden and lift it away on thier backs to the wagon, then return it. Some won't even empty them these days if the lid won't shut. They used to take anything left at the side of the bin too, as my old man discovered one day, even if you'd just propped it there for a while ? 

Everyone seemed a lot happier in the 50,60 and 70's, milkman would whistle, everyone would say "morning", the grocer, butcher and Baker would know you by name. We didn't need to recycle because we used it again or returned it!

I could go on about the "good old days", but.  Sure technology has improved our way of life, but the population as grown, and we're all wanting to better our way of life. 

The bin men here are quite good, well the ones on the round at the min are, they do tend to change regular , i guess running behind a bin wagon aint for anyone but the young & super fit:laugh:... I have found the net invaluable to get my grocery's delivered ... but its not a new idea , meat, milk, mail, bread , coal , the paper was all delivered when I was a kid. my mom shopped daily at the corner shop for the rest 

Its pretty much what I do now , once a month for frozen & tins etc & the co op for milk & bits a pieces  & the paki shop for bread , I inherited my moms frugal outlook on life , she makes stuff rather than buys brand new, I have always re purposed stuff & given them a new lease of life, thats what my mom did in the 70's when I was a kid 

99% of the birthday gifts I give to folks I have made out of summat, I loved my childhood it was a slower pace & folks had time for you 

• Like 3

On 20/03/2018 at 10:21, Meece said:

What do you old boys want to go back to...... War, ,  bad housing, low wages, shorter life expectation, no pension, no health care (NHS), no dentist, rubbish food, rubbish clothing and shoes, no tv, hardly any radio, poor education for the majority, just total poor life back then.

If all you old boys were put into a life stile and conditions that existed years ago you would be moaning your heads off about it. When the old age pension was introduced hardly anyone lived old enough to claim it.  My oldest sisters husband is nearly 90 and after 65 he kept working because he felt that he had to. Suddenly old age came on him and then they realised that a rainy day never came and they haven't done anything or Been anywhere and its too late to live there lives to the best that they could have. Still they remember the good old days of  make do and mend, having no car, being grateful for what they got, minding their p's & q's, knowing their place and standing to attention ect whilst being shafted like you should expect ,as a lowly serf. And don't forget that the woman's place is back tied to the sink post. Going to bed at nine o'clock and getting up at five to light the fire. Great times back then. The good old days.

PS and don't forget that back then you wouldn't have been able to come on here and moan about how the immigrants that do all the menial jobs that "we the British" wont do have changed the country where you knew your place and held your tongue.  Whats right, a picture of some young bloke on a motor bike going off to kill some poor innocent or as a young bloke with his life to live, getting is head blown off or some young bloke dressed up as a dog playing with his kids for fun. ( although not in the picture) ?

We've still got a good few of the things on your list.

Just saying like.........:whistling:

• Haha 1

Indeed how times have changed.

Life expectancy  in 1871 was Male: 43, Female: 47  but by 2010 that had become Male: 79 and Female: 82, even in recent years there has been marked changes, an example being infant mortality falling from 9.4 to 3.9 per 1,000 live births over the last 30 years.

But we are falling behind countries like Germany etc in recent years and with current trends to  get rid of the NHS, social care and pensions we may well see an increasingly deteriorating picture.

I don’t think anyone wants to go back to dead babies and rickets.....that’s just sarcastic nonsense........what they want to go back to is a few morals, a sense of community and a bit of social responsibility.

I personally don’t think they are bad things to aspire to.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Still plenty of those things mate however some seem to be fixated on looking@ the bleak side of life and ignore the posiive.

Even back in the old days there was plenty scum bags preying on communities and had very little or no morals.

Go back even further to the beginning of man there was murder and mayhem. It's the darker side of humans. 

Me personally I live by own code. Relatively law abiding keep my property and surrounding area clean and tidy.not afraid to pick up the rubbish the kids drop in the Street or lift others bins if they have been blown over. Help an older neighbour back from the co op with there shopping or watering there garden if I have the hose out. I refuse to believe that All is lost I see and hear of many good deeds.

I will concede in this generation of social media there are more lazy and nosey c**ts around who would rather sit on face book or video games rather than spend an afternoon in the garden or going for walk with the dog but only look on the garden as a place to let the dog shit in. 

Which could be all sorted out if local authorities were not such a shower of incompetent c**ts.

Chap there door and tell them keep you're property clean or we will take it from you and put you in a flat. If it's a private property fine them! 

But then we get back to the old argument " my rights government interference state control blah blah blah"  sometimes the state needs to step in when something clearly isn't working.  Well imo that's how I see it. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, scothunter said:

Still plenty of those things mate however some seem to be fixated on looking@ the bleak side of life and ignore the posiive.

Even back in the old days there was plenty scum bags preying on communities and had very little or no morals.

Go back even further to the beginning of man there was murder and mayhem. It's the darker side of humans. 

Me personally I live by own code. Relatively law abiding keep my property and surrounding area clean and tidy.not afraid to pick up the rubbish the kids drop in the Street or lift others bins if they have been blown over. Help an older neighbour back from the co op with there shopping or watering there garden if I have the hose out. I refuse to believe that All is lost I see and hear of many good deeds.

I will concede in this generation of social media there are more lazy and nosey c**ts around who would rather sit on face book or video games rather than spend an afternoon in the garden or going for walk with the dog but only look on the garden as a place to let the dog shit in. 

Which could be all sorted out if local authorities were not such a shower of incompetent c**ts.

Chap there door and tell them keep you're property clean or we will take it from you and put you in a flat. If it's a private property fine them! 

But then we get back to the old argument " my rights government interference state control blah blah blah"  sometimes the state needs to step in when something clearly isn't working.  Well imo that's how I see it. 

Mate, I know me and you have gone around the subject loads of times.....I reckon we have similar outlooks in life but just a different view.

I actually think we are are both right......you are spot on when you say there is still a lot of positive stuff and good people

I agree with that, but I say watch out because it’s under serious attack and I don’t think the situation is improving 

I can’t pretend it’s ALL terrible and you can’t prentend there isnt parts of life in that country that are really bad and ain’t getting better.

Anyway, I’m a bit reflective today and very sad with it........my old town saw it’s first random murder last night.

Young lad my daughters age, no name released yet but we may very well know the lad, stabbed to death while walking alone.......it’s been coming for 15 years to that poor little town and yesterday was the day it finally happened.

Somehow, just saying “well that’s how it is and has always been” don’t make me feel better.......I say “it shouldn’t be that way and we should speak out loud to highlight the chaos” 

• Thanks 2

I hate the type of people who think it's their godgiven right to act like a yob and be generally rude and ill-mannered.

If my grandad ever heard someone swear, they'd get the "Do you mind ? Ladies present !" treatment. To me, that kind of thing is "the good old days" !

That's it really.............

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Blackbriar said:

I hate the type of people who think it's their godgiven right to act like a yob and be generally rude and ill-mannered.

If my grandad ever heard someone swear, they'd get the "Do you mind ? Ladies present !" treatment. To me, that kind of thing is "the good old days" !

That's it really.............

You get the same modern day aswell