I have a Viper which serves me very well but to be honest it looses steam about 80mt or a bit less so I have a T50 strapped on to boost the light. Now this works okay with my FX Impact fac air rifle because I have weaver rails built into the rifle so adding an extra torch is easy however I also use the Viper on my .22LR and this is where the problem lies, there is nowhere to fasten an extra torch.

Now the Wolf is supposed to be good out to 300mt which way more than I need but would allow me to stop having to add an extra torch. I use the Viper for my ratting as well as rabbits and the range for ratting is between 8 - 25mt so here is a question, does the Wolf work happily at closer ranges or will I need to keep the Viper for that job. I would ideally like to sell the Viper to offset the cost of a Wolf but don't want to cock things up by selling the Viper if the Wolf is way over powered at closer range.

Any advice would be helpful.

Phil

1 hour ago, philpot said:

I have a Viper which serves me very well but to be honest it looses steam about 80mt or a bit less so I have a T50 strapped on to boost the light. Now this works okay with my FX Impact fac air rifle because I have weaver rails built into the rifle so adding an extra torch is easy however I also use the Viper on my .22LR and this is where the problem lies, there is nowhere to fasten an extra torch.

Now the Wolf is supposed to be good out to 300mt which way more than I need but would allow me to stop having to add an extra torch. I use the Viper for my ratting as well as rabbits and the range for ratting is between 8 - 25mt so here is a question, does the Wolf work happily at closer ranges or will I need to keep the Viper for that job. I would ideally like to sell the Viper to offset the cost of a Wolf but don't want to cock things up by selling the Viper if the Wolf is way over powered at closer range.

Any advice would be helpful.

Phil

It partly depends on your scope - ideally it will focus down to 10 meters for ratting. If it doesn't you may find that although your scope focuses for ratting by the human eye - it might not focus close enough for the low light camera because Infra Red light focuses closer than daylight or lamping light. However since it currently focuses OK for the viper it will likely be OK for any other add on too.

By the way have you considered my add on NV builds? Somewhat cheaper than the Wolf because it doesn't come in a case and I don't need to factor in a profit margin for shops. I'm not a million miles away if you fancy an unobligated looksee on my local golf course one night: 

https://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/349712-kwikfit-add-on-night-vision-rigs-reduced-prices-for-2017/

Yes the Viper through both my MTC Mamba Lite and Hawke Airmax scopes work fine. I have seen your NV units which are spot on but if I am being honest, the Nitesite is so light with the overall weight being minimal, there is no excess weight of a T50 or T67 on the front end of the gun pushing the balance out. It is this reason only that I use Nitesite and a great many of my shots are taken free hand walking around which becomes very uncomfortable with a heavy torch up front and the main reason I gave my other NV to my son in law. 

I have seen the results from your NV and don't knock them at all, still toying with one of your spotting units however.

Phil

I’ve got a Nitesite Wolf and 300m is an huge overstatement bordering on a bare faced lie. How they are able to claim that I just don’t know. Clear as day out to 100 but I’d put 150 as its threshold. Ok you might be able to spot an eye further on than that but we all know better than to shoot first and identify later.

20 hours ago, Yokel Matt said:

I’ve got a Nitesite Wolf and 300m is an huge overstatement bordering on a bare faced lie. How they are able to claim that I just don’t know. Clear as day out to 100 but I’d put 150 as its threshold. Ok you might be able to spot an eye further on than that but we all know better than to shoot first and identify later.

I am pleased to hear that I am not the only one who finds their claims to be somewhat over stretched, shall we say. The sight is very good but my Viper is good to about 65-70m although I stated 80m in my opening thread but checking things last night while out rabbiting, I need to revise the distance, then I need to switch on the T50 strapped on my FX Impact.

The Wolf at 100 - 150 would still be okay for both my rimfire .22LR and also my Impact FAC air rifle but it does make you wonder how Nitesite can get away with the claims actually put into print which are clearly wrong although I have been told the Eagle is amazing in that it does reach 500m, mind you, I think I would want to see that for myself.

One point to ask, Does the Wolf work on close range ie. 10 - 20m without white out flare as I could use it for close range ratting as well.

Phil

Hi Phil - yes it does work at shorter ranges if you scale down the power output using the dial on the unit. If you had it full whack youd need to apply a bit of factor 50 on you face first of all as you get enough glare to blind you not to mention light you up!

• Thanks 1