Merle X merle

I know it's been done before but after a bit of info...a mate of mines 2 merles accidentally managed to mate. We all know that you're not supposed to do it but it's happened. I know some pups could be deaf, blind or both. Is there anyway of knowing if the pups are going to be sound. 

Cheers postie

Not until they start getting about, unless they have it really bad and their eyes can be badly deformed. A lot of white can be a clue , especially around the ears/ eyes but no guarantee. Only what I've read btw not through experience. But I'd be prepared to cull a few 

Oh, I knew fellah:yes: well,... I had a pretty fair idea that something was amiss...

I've purchased a deafy, and sadly, bred one myself...the signs will be there if you watch a suspect pup closely. 

Usual suspects carry a fair bit of white around the head,...and as we all now know,... the Merle x Merle union can be a disaster...

However, I do recall seeing an extremely colorful litter back in the 1980s, they were M+M, how they all turned out I cannot say.

Back in the day, we were truly in the dark and had no real comprehension of the dire results that could occur from such things.

easy option is is get the bitch jabbed so she don’t have pups .. 

double merles will be the ones with you the problems .. any solid colourerd pup will be fine 

• Like 4
14 minutes ago, postie said:

Already whelped Chid...all are merles mate.

Phil, would you steer well clear of the pups or try to assess them:hmm:?

It's your call really...:hmm:

If the guy is keeping the entire litter on,..and I suspect he will,..you have the luxury of being able to sit back and watch, as the story unfolds...

Forwarned is forearmed,...and if you take a fancy to a particular whelp I would ask if you can spend a bit of time with it, prior to making a decision.

Not all the litter will be affected...:thumbs:

1 hour ago, postie said:

Already whelped Chid...all are merles mate.

Phil, would you steer well clear of the pups or try to assess them:hmm:?

Postie I would not bother would not take one fa a gift I have no doubt Phil will say same those three quarter mall whippets in yorks seem a far better option fa your game..the bitch should have been taken fa th two jab course then this problem would have not been here .they will all have some sort off recessive defect somes yas visible others not.atbbill

• Confused 1

Dont know if they are recessive , but Deafness ,and possible eye deformation are a possibility ,some will be ok though,maybe even all just don't know.

The double merles that are ok ,will pass Merle on to all their pups as they have 2 copies of the Merle gene

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Phil Lloyd said:

It's your call really...:hmm:

If the guy is keeping the entire litter on,..and I suspect he will,..you have the luxury of being able to sit back and watch, as the story unfolds...

Forwarned is forearmed,...and if you take a fancy to a particular whelp I would ask if you can spend a bit of time with it, prior to making a decision.

Not all the litter will be affected...:thumbs:

That would be the best option Phil but not really viable as he's 3 1/2 hours away...