A lucky stray

Yesterday I got a Phone call from one of my permissions property owner, saying his neighbour had found a ferret, and would I like to come take it?

I told him I would be out there first thing this morning; I got there and took a look, a small young Jill, this years by the look of her.

The poor thing looked starving, had foot rot, and mange, I tried to pick her up, she was as savage as a wild polecat and immediately locked on to my hand, I put her in my cage brought her home and treated her for the conditions

She looks well bred and will make a full recovery I have no doubt.

It’s the little pink eyed Jill in the photo

P1000891.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ferret110 said:

Good on you mate but I would not put a stray ferret that's got mange and foot rot (or not) with my ferrets

I understand your concerns, most of the fatal transferable diseases such as parvo, distemper etc are pretty easy to diagnose, I treated all the ferrets yesterday for foot rot just in case,  I have done this all before,  It’s all good mate been round ferrets for 45 years +. I'll keep ya posted on the progress, hopefully she will be a half decent ferret.

I found one like that 7 or 8 years ago, the dog made a put at her before realising what she was and she shot down a hole.

I couldn't believe it when she came to me as I called her and then let me walk a mile back to the car with her in my arms. She was as thin as a lath and had an infection in one eye where it looked like she had been kicked by a rabbit, and she turned out to be the best ferret I've ever had, and the friendliest, it was a sad day last year when I had to have her put down.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

Probably dumped by some cnut too lazy to treat her.

ALL ferrets left for a length of time in the wild in Australia develop foot rot and die.

Thats why we dont have wild polecats

• 3 weeks later...