So.. what food do you think these are ?

It is not uncommon for different cultures to do strange and interesting things with foods,
this is one of the odd balls even in MY world.

What do you think these are ? :unsure:

Chestnuts

In my heritage Chestnuts are commonly used when in season for a warm street snack, as part of other recipes with cake and biscuits,
even as a kids toy.

My Italian family do all that above as well, but this is one more thing I have not seen in all my years with them.
Roasted Chestnuts in Grappa.

Now THAT'S a pickling solution by any mans meaning !!
They will keep for years in this 'water', I have not tried them yet, but I will and the report will be posted into this thread when I recover.. :lol: :lol:

Chestnuts soaked in Grappa with essence of Sambuca .

Recipe - www.grappa.com/eng/spirits-recipes/desse...estnuts-in-grappa_66

• Like 1

Well they look and sound rather nice.

Love Chestnuts, and cook with them quite a bit (more savoury stuff... always with pheasant, or if making a nut roast; we often have a tapas (tapa?) thing of chicken livers, chorizo and Chestnuts cooked in sherry.) 

I make pancakes with chestnut flour, and use it to thicken autumn flavours.

Picked up a pocketful last year and had a plan to cook and freeze loads (which fell at the first hurdle, so I continue to buy them ready cooked).

Look forward to the taste test update. 

Edited to add

Pickled walnuts are VILE

Edited by Squeamish5
6 hours ago, Squeamish5 said:

Well they look and sound rather nice.

Love Chestnuts, and cook with them quite a bit (more savoury stuff... always with pheasant, or if making a nut roast; we often have a tapas (tapa?) thing of chicken livers, chorizo and Chestnuts cooked in sherry.) 

I make pancakes with chestnut flour, and use it to thicken autumn flavours.

Picked up a pocketful last year and had a plan to cook and freeze loads (which fell at the first hurdle, so I continue to buy them ready cooked).

Look forward to the taste test update. 

Edited to add

Pickled walnuts are VILE

Really interesting, so how did it all fall at the first hurdle ? Was it just the cooking ?

On 3/16/2018 at 19:08, Squeamish5 said:

Yep. I went for boiling them, but just couldn’t get the fuzzy inside skins off.

and singed fingers.

i may try again next year...

The best way is to roast them, the heat steams the nut cooking it, and the internal skins come away easy.

Just remember to score the chestnuts with a serrated knife or they will explode, its just a small 10mm cut through the hard shell and skin to let out the steam.

Search it on the net, if we do some soon I will take pics and display them here.

Yep , that seems like it would be an indicator of 'well done', when you can scrape it from your face, they are all cooked.  :boogy:

I will remember that and test it for our own cook up, its smart and I have learnt something.

Thanks.

(while my 13yr old daughter is shooting a pencil eraser at me with her Trebuchet she made 3 yrs ago)

• 4 weeks later...