Countryside March 1998

20 years ago. Where did the time go? We were ignored.  How many here went on the march? If you did go what recollections do you have? How did you get there? 

I went up on a special train and I remember that we nearly had a set to with a load of antis at the entrance of an underground station on our right just after we came off of the embankment but the police got in between us. We had a bit of a job to find somewhere to eat. Ended up in a tapas bar which cost us a fortune. Blokes in shooting clothes as far as you could see. 

Edited by Meece
  • Like 2

jumped on a coach organised by the wynnstay hunt.

i remember getting the train into the city and leaving the underground to a sea of flat caps and moleskins.

i have never ever seen so many people protesting peacefully.i am proud to say i was apart of that day.

i took egg and cress sandwiches with me that day

• Like 4

1998. Jumped in the van with a few local lads and parked up at Cockfosters, then went in on the tube. That was a community.

2002. Liberty and Livelihood was the same, drove down with a few from here and met up with some more. IanB was there with the NE lads, Phil Lloyd too. A few former forum members as well. Some of us made the telly.

• Like 2

I expect that most younger members might  have been to young to have gone on these marches. My wife was a bit concerned about me going into the unknown of what might happen on something that had never happened before. Well not to us country boys. 

Some of the problem was/is that most of the orgs did not do a great deal to push back on our behalf. The police should have been held to account for the fact that they had been notified that most of the nutters had problems but they didnt do anything about it and we got to pay the penalty. Orgs like basic talk a good talk but don't really fight our corner. I always felt as if they wanted the job and the money perks but when it came to doing work for us that they had their own agenda.

Edited by Meece

98 was the second march, 97 was the Hyde park rally. I went to that on a private coach with lord Ivor! T'was a funny old day, ended up in a boozer with a load of fellas from the quantock stag hounds and my mate got propositioned by a dirty old man ?. 98 I dragged my very pregnant missus along. We went down with the Suffolk hunt, a sea of people as far as the eye could see fore and aft. Done no f***ing good tho, the powers that be had already made their minds up. As for 2002, I think I was busy with the bulldogs...

Yokel

Edited by YOKEL

i was there. went down on the train from Durham. Braes of Derwent sorted it. had a cracking day but i always said it was done on the wrong day. should have being done on a week day and it would have brought London to a fair old standstill and caused a lot more upheaval 

• Like 2