Constantly stuck working away which the Mrs hates, she's wanting me to get a Shar Pei of all things for a house dog. From what I've seen most over here are a wrinkled mess. I've also seen a few beauties, does anyone actually know of any decent breeders? Cheers

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

you could get this substitute      

First crufts now sharpie,s I could of sworn this was the HUNTING life when I joined, it's a four legged ball bag that smells of old socks and likes a nip at kids, won't catch you dinner won't retrieve

Kenny I used to own one for over ten years you have to watch out for entropium  which is an eye problem also as said skin problems,  also which is very bad for the dog is ear problems their ear canal

Posted Images

Just now, leegreen said:

Mostly smelly with skin, eye and feet problems.  Good luck.

Get along well with the old lady then, are they that bad then? 

I know in China and the far east there's still some cracking specimens.

Kenny I used to own one for over ten years you have to watch out for entropium  which is an eye problem also as said skin problems,  also which is very bad for the dog is ear problems their ear canal is as narrow as a cats and they are prone to infections which drives the dogs crazy leading to operations, also you should only buy from a trusted breeder there is a list on the Shar-pei club of Great Britains website I was a member many years ago.

Something else you should bear in mind is some thing called hock Syndrome known as Shar-Pei fever  here is a link for info.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shar_Pei_fever

http://www.spcgb.org/

They are extremely territorial hate cats and sometimes are not good with other dogs but as a dog to look after my family while I was away a lot he was superb and a gentleman to have around the house  I have many stories I could tell about him especially when some idiot tried to get in my yard he nearly ripped his leg off lol.

Good luck if you get one.

• Like 2
Guest Navek

Wouldn’t have one given me if they were the last dog on earth . Woman not fa from me got 3 none related and every one got skin problems and eye problems ...

there that bad bad there in top 3 of 90% of dogs not eligible for pet insurance 

18 minutes ago, Kerny92 said:

So basically the show lot have fcuked them over good and proper.

I was lucky I had an exceptional one but we are talking a long while ago my son had one and it had all of the above problems he couldn't insure it and he was just throwing money at the vets nightmare situation.

Get her a terrier lol 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, FLATTOP said:

I was lucky I had an exceptional one but we are talking a long while ago my son had one and it had all of the above problems he couldn't insure it and he was just throwing money at the vets nightmare situation.

Get her a terrier lol 

It's a shame though, tbh I've seen some stunning Staff X Shar Pei. It's just dropping on one that's the problem.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Is it bone mouth or bonehead shar peis with the less wrinkles??

i know they suffer lot with the eyes lids need sorting entropion??

You got Bone mouth and meat mouth or sometimes known as hippo mouth  Shar-Pei, no bone head lol.

Also horse coat or brush coat I believe Shar-Pei translates as sand coat in Chinese.