Starting an allotment from scratch?

I've just got an allotment and as I don't know what was grown on it previously other than a block of leeks can anyone recommend what to grow on it to get us started that won't be susceptible to any parasites or ailments left by previous crops?

I was thinking corn, onions and probably more leeks to get us going?

It's not overgrown at all it's been in use up until recently but I just don't know what was grown there last year. There was a patch of straggly leeks left so I know what was there and another bit has a couple of mini celery plants.

Get some well rotted horse muck on there and double dig,then you can grow what you want then,double digging is for deep rooted veg patato , listen to what redneck said about crop rotation.personally I wouldn't bother with corn a waste of time,if we have a crap summer you will be late harvesting and I tell you now when the top is ready the bottom will be black once stripped.

I Love growing purple sprouting easy to grow but takes about a year to get from seed to harvest, if you use different types you can pick from December to March. If your going to grow Carrots or Parsnips don't dung that area or you will get fork root. Leeks area good they love some dung. Any brassicas I use plastic water pipe bent in hoops and cover with butterfly netting to stop cabbage whites also stop the wood pigeons. Just start your crop rotation next year it will be fine unless there is already a problem with the soil.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1

Get down there and watch and listen to the old boys. You'll soon find out they grow the most, the biggest and the best. Lol. Early potatoes need going in now but ridge them up as you set the rows or else that late frost will bite them. Broad beans should have been in by now but not too late. Peas can be soaked for 24 hours and they can then go in. Cabbage, Durham Early, if you have or can get some plants are ok. If you like your corn then get them soaking for a couple of days and then pot them up either in the greenhouse or certainly under a fleece. Towards the end of the month everything will get going, especially the weeds. Keep on top of them and you'll be ok. Also, as I've mentioned on here before now, soil conditioning is very important. If you have a micro brewery anywhere near you, try to get some used spent hops wit h which to dig in pre planting. Chicken muck (provided it is over a year old) is marvellous. As is soot which ideally be more than 2 years cold.(I did mean cold). As mentioned on here, both cow and horse muck is about as good as it gets. Over the years I have used it both as a general fertiliser but also surface dressed to prevent weed growth. This also makes weeds spindly and very easy to take out. This could go on for days but suffice to say, just enjoy your allotment. Get the kettle and bacon Sarnies going with a beer on a Sunday morning and let us all know come Harvest Festival time how you got on. Look out for Terry d on here as well. He knows a thing or two. Good luck. Jok.

• Like 2

First pic was of a nice covering of spent Brewers hops which as said is a good soil conditioner. 3rd pic, as has been said, water pipe with scaffold net covering. The other pics are just bragging. Jok.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...