Gorse bush rabbit hunt.

I love gorse, why? Because rabbit love it too!
I loaded a ball on a light charge in my smooth rifle and stalked the hill side covered in gorse. Rabbits were stamping their feet, I had been busted. Then just 10 yards away was a buck watching me and about to go to ground. I threaded the barrel through a hole in the gorse and lined it all up on his head.
When the smoke cleared my rabbit was down.
DSC09915.jpg

On the way back I did a little plinking only to find it shoots no better on my reduced load for ball with a patch than it does with out a patch! In fact it shoots better with out it!
Don't get me wrong, it ain't no rifle but it does still bring home the bacon and of course the option to load shot is always available.

U.

(Copied from the muzzloadingforum).

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Rimfireboy! said:

Great ‘stuff’ Nathan. What’s the weight/calibre of the ball and what sort of velocity and energy does it produce on the reduced load? Sorry to be a pain asking, but I’m interested.

Don't apologize and your not a pain.

Never clocked it mate. The ball is a .440" and about 127grn. I do know .45 patched ball rifles work around 1700-1800 FPS on full charges of around 60grns of BP.

My reduced charge is 30grn and is subsonic, I guess just under 1000.

No idea of ft/lbs. To be honest I don't give much credence to it.

It is tremendous fun and there is no need to fear the scare stories of horrible fouling and rust. When I got home I simple run some patches in the bore with my home made grease. That will hold the salts in the foul in suspension and I will do it again in a minute. Nothing to it.

Come the time for a good clean I just use boiling water, dry and add the same grease and the gun keeps for indefinitely.

U.

Edited by Underdog
  • Like 2