Terrier mistakes

2 minutes ago, THE GENERAL said:

Wrong thread mate, there's a bushing dog section ?

Na I just don’t comment saying what a terrier should or shouldn’t do as mine is only 4 months or so old. 

My point being that a dog can change a lot over an off season. I’ve seen a lot of guys get rid of pups or young dogs that turned out fine just took some time

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stop end I've said it before and I'll say it again you do spout some bollox.terriers are just terriers not machines programmed to do a specific job so yes any terrier can and does on occasion have an

I agree with you their are plenty of lads that would love to see a good dog fail instead of seeing it do a good graft then jealousy has a lot to do with it. I have heard of lads telling other men slip

Was in the same predicament myself MG a few seasons back with a dog that I still have to this day. Big sandy place dog had the run around for first half hour then was working away in a spot, we left h

2 hours ago, Yankeeterrier said:

Maybe I missed it but how old is the dog? I know my beagle I was ready to give up on the first season. Second season however she hit the ground running and has been as good a second I’d expect out of her. She’s not amazing but if theres a rabbit she’s will find and run it. 

Maybe your dog dog is young? Still learning? Could come back next season and remember it all plus have some maturity that will help a lot

Your trying to compare a beagle that you were giving up on.that is not amazing "your words" to a terrier that works below ground in the dark against something that bites back, while yours chases most rabbits it sees. Ok.

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, Shovel shy said:

Your trying to compare a beagle that you were giving up on.that is not amazing "your words" to a terrier that works below ground in the dark against something that bites back, while yours chases most rabbits it sees. Ok.

Read the comment above yours. 

1 hour ago, Yankeeterrier said:

Na I just don’t comment saying what a terrier should or shouldn’t do as mine is only 4 months or so old. 

My point being that a dog can change a lot over an off season. I’ve seen a lot of guys get rid of pups or young dogs that turned out fine just took some time

Na mate,  just leave it.

This could be a good thread. 

Comparing hounds and stuff, you are well off the mark. Behave yourself ?

Edited by THE GENERAL
  • Like 1
20 minutes ago, THE GENERAL said:

Na mate,  just leave it.

This could be a good thread. 

Comparing hounds and stuff, you are well off the mark. Behave yourself ?

Not trying to argue now just curious, so if a terrier isn’t up to snuff after the first year are you of the opinion they won’t ever make it ever?

42 minutes ago, Yankeeterrier said:

Not trying to argue now just curious, so if a terrier isn’t up to snuff after the first year are you of the opinion they won’t ever make it ever?

Who's first season pup failed? 

You sir are not well.

What time zone do you work in?

Bedtime sounds good.

Sorry lads back to topic. ?

Edited by THE GENERAL

Early on this last season had a dog come away from a particularly tricky opponent, in fact it was driven out. The dog was reluctant to re-enter and when he did he travelled the earth everywhere but where he had found. Dropped another dog in with a steadier approach and got a result in the end. It doesn't always work out for a dog with such a full on attitude, bit of a rest and he was back at it but with a slightly more cautious approach and by halfway through the season he was back on form.

Not knowing the style of your dog I can't comment on your situation but an old timer once told me that when you were working on your car you used the spanner that fits the nut rather than mole grips for everything

• Like 3

how do you know the second dog found the same apponent bud could have been more than one fox in there and the second dog found a fox with out such a temper and willing  to sit there and not bothered about driving dogs out?  

the best dogs don't  often make mistakes 

its to be expected when they are young and learning butt when they are adults and it happens often id be worried 

just my opinion 

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Yankeeterrier said:

Depends on the mistakes its made. If it walks out of cowardice its gone, if its down to lack of experience its down to you as the terrierman to give the dog experience in the right conditions.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Dabhand said:

how do you know the second dog found the same apponent bud could have been more than one fox in there and the second dog found a fox with out such a temper and willing  to sit there and not bothered about driving dogs out?

Because I was there...........the second dog stood back and just used it's voice and we dug well back behind the dog as quiet as we could, not right on top of the quarry, and tunnelled on and got the result

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Mooching Celt said:

Because I was there...........the second dog stood back and just used it's voice and we dug well back behind the dog as quiet as we could, not right on top of the quarry, and tunnelled on and got the result

well done bud 

On 11/03/2018 at 16:50, Mixedgrill said:

When experienced dog or bitch make mistakes ie. Losing game on the odd occasion and finding it hard to being able to correct it do you turn a blind eye to it and keep them at it or do you draw the line.... It's happening with one I have here with the season well and truly over I'm starting to think about it ...he's a fair dog with a lot of hunting over him but a mistake is a mistake.. out of interest how many lads would crack on and forget about it and put it down to knowing what they have 

If i own a terrier that can live with my mistakes id be happy enough to live with a terrier that seldom makes a mistake,if the same mistake crops up  throughout the season id get rid.

On 11/03/2018 at 16:50, Mixedgrill said:

When experienced dog or bitch make mistakes ie. Losing game on the odd occasion and finding it hard to being able to correct it do you turn a blind eye to it and keep them at it or do you draw the line.... It's happening with one I have here with the season well and truly over I'm starting to think about it ...he's a fair dog with a lot of hunting over him but a mistake is a mistake.. out of interest how many lads would crack on and forget about it and put it down to knowing what they have 

Experienced terriers dont have an off day.. terriers with the correct wiring and lineage may be out witted once or twice in their career ...some never if man and terrier is stubborn enough... and if they have been giving me thought that there is an enquiry.. the only way to solve the conundrum is ask the terrier..by working the terrier.. thl wont answer your questions..only you can.?

• Like 4

I once tested one here but hand on heart I already knew the answer and i was right I was brought up never put a dog to ground unless your prepared to dig it I have found spots and thought better of putting one to ground to risky one way  or another with what I had with me a lot drops on the handler but I find to many kid themselves never mind the lies they tell about what they own a lot are culls but still get bred from what I have I considered not good enough to breed from but still do a job and do it OK there's a lot better out there shame more ain't more honest work them to there strengths and except there weaknesses or cull 

Edited by blackmaggie
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1