Terrier mistakes

Could be something underlying I've heard of dogs doing it if they are sick from a virus or Injured (not from work but maybe broken ribs or something you haven't discovered from a slip of the spade) It depends if you are willing to bring him to vet and get a blood test, xray and if something shows up maybe a couple of months rest and he might turn around. Come next September I wouldn't be making excuses for him though so it's up to you whether you wanted to wait 6 months. It's you that is feeding him. I'd hold off on breeding him unless he improved.

• Like 2

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stop end I've said it before and I'll say it again you do spout some bollox.terriers are just terriers not machines programmed to do a specific job so yes any terrier can and does on occasion have an

I agree with you their are plenty of lads that would love to see a good dog fail instead of seeing it do a good graft then jealousy has a lot to do with it. I have heard of lads telling other men slip

Was in the same predicament myself MG a few seasons back with a dog that I still have to this day. Big sandy place dog had the run around for first half hour then was working away in a spot, we left h

2 hours ago, Mixedgrill said:

When experienced dog or bitch make mistakes ie. Losing game on the odd occasion and finding it hard to being able to correct it do you turn a blind eye to it and keep them at it or do you draw the line.... It's happening with one I have here with the season well and truly over I'm starting to think about it ...he's a fair dog with a lot of hunting over him but a mistake is a mistake.. out of interest how many lads would crack on and forget about it and put it down to knowing what they have 

Only you can make the decision mate. I had a strong black dog who I would be confident of putting anywhere diggable and if he would stop end it then you d dig him . Good digs to . But if he had something he could nt keep up with on a loop in a rangey place he just could nt work it out and come out. You had to pick him up re enter him in a different part of the earth and hopefully he d find again. I gave him away and he was highly rated where he went and used at stud. I advised them not to use him but they ignored the advice as they had dug some stuff with him. But that was nt the point , the dogs nose and finding ability was poor. I suppose it depends what else you have in the kennel and your own standards. If you ve had loads of digging over the dog and it’s only happened a few times then that’s digging , you don t get em all. If you know the dogs walking cos he ain’t having his own way then that s a different story. 

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Havelightforcewilltravel said:

Is the dog still keen for work ? There’s lot different reasons but you will only know yourself as you were there when dog done what he done if you can live with him making mistakes he staysif you can’t he has to go.1 thing though you will always be waiting for him to make a mistake now.

Dogs would put your head away chum ..yeah he's still very keep I pushed him a bit coming to the end of the season and he went well 

• Like 1

He may have met the fox had a skirmish, lost his grip and the fox gave him the run around in a big rangy spot. He can't work what he can't catch etc etc. Did he come out all excited and keen or was he a beaten bird...a million different questions and scenarios can be asked & discussed. We weren't there ...but you were. What I would say is always be honest with yourself and others. Only you know what to do...but I wouldn't breed off him.

• Like 3

there not machines mate there just as prone to a f**k up as we are ive a mate with a little lakie [ fox only]  it goes in rattles them around for 10-15 mins and comes out and sits 4 yards away from the earth now he loves that dog and i can see its a handy little mutt but its not my cup of tea and i wouldnt keep it but he s in hunt service and it suits him just fine 

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, TOPPER said:

there not machines mate there just as prone to a f**k up as we are ive a mate with a little lakie [ fox only]  it goes in rattles them around for 10-15 mins and comes out and sits 4 yards away from the earth now he loves that dog and i can see its a handy little mutt but its not my cup of tea and i wouldnt keep it but he s in hunt service and it suits him just fine 

Perfect for stopping.

• Like 2

Seasons over seen as he has being a good digging dog apart from these few mistakes,if he was mine id let him lie for the summer but early next season id try him hard and make no excuses for him but hopefully all will come good again

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Foxdropper,

If you need to dig then you put that one back and take out the worker. Horses for courses. It's hard to give kennel space to some types and look at them every day, but some people can and it makes for a team that can cover every angle.

Edited by neil cooney
  • Like 2
11 minutes ago, pjmc said:

Seasons over seen as he has being a good digging dog apart from these few mistakes,if he was mine id let him lie for the summer but early next season id try him hard and make no excuses for him but hopefully all will come good again

thats what id do too. 

9 minutes ago, neil cooney said:

Foxdropper,

If you need to dig then you put that one back and take out the worker. Horses for courses. It's hard to give kennel space to some types and look at them every day, but some people can and it makes for a team that can cover every angle.

I’ve a little bitch here that I’ve never dug to, but she keeps the lurcher busy bolting out of places you wouldn’t run a digging dog, killed 5 in 6 days over Christmas this way so they have their uses.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Mixedgrill said:

Dogs would put your head away chum ..yeah he's still very keep I pushed him a bit coming to the end of the season and he went well 

as has been said feck knows,  was he fit? is he young or too old? did it just stay mid pipe then bolt and dig on? could he have been carrying injury? how long was he to ground? etc etc,  me id wait til next season and try him in a few handy ones then up the game again after a restful summer. everybody has their types and ways, but id put money on it that all but a very few have had head scratching days about wtf happened and until they start fitting dogs with go pros we wont honeslty know. good luck with it

• Like 2