Have we turned into North Korea

8 minutes ago, ChrisJones said:

@kanny

This might make interesting reading for you. It's an opinion piece based on a Times article, but I can't read the full Times article. Thoughts?

The full article

The Times reported that government minister; Matt Hancock is pushing for all social media websites to verify the age of anyone using their services. Matt Hancock wants for everyone to have to use their passports in order verify their age but one big issue with this proposal is that many people don’t have a passport, especially children. This would to many people no longer being able to use social media websites due to a lack of a passport.

Basically, Matt Hancock wants everybody to have to use a passport to sign into social media, for this, he is using the classic think of the children argument. If you want to know the true intentions of a law like this than just read this section of the article “under proposals being drawn up to tame the “wild west” of the internet.”.

This talk of “age-appropriate material” and “time cut-offs” combined with wanting your social media account tied to official ID should have you worried as the government are very anti-free speech. This will make it easier for the government to arrest you for saying anything “offensive”.

This also shows the government wants to keep extending “age-checks”, this could easily end up with you having to show your ID to visit any website which will allow for the police to arrest you if you view any website they dislike.

The whole “think of the children” thing is just a cover for the government to get more control over our lives and to anyone who believes the government when it talking about protecting children, just remember that 114 documents went missing related to allegations of a “Westminster paedophile ring”.

The reason why the government is going after the right wing rather than the left wing at the moment is because people on the left would protest heavily about it which is embarrassing for the government, but if the government goes after things that would mostly see people on the right wing arrested than they will cheer in support. Obviously, after the government has cracked down of right-wing dissent they will go after the left wing as they will be no one left to protect them from government crackdowns on dissent. Dissent on any side of the political spectrum is harmful to the government as it leads to people bringing up embarrassing facts about them.

This all appears to be the government just trying to find ways of censoring the internet of any wrongthink. No matter what side of the political spectrum you are on, never believe a politician when they are looking for ways to take away your rights.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Centre-right is persuasive. Far right is loony. If you remove sensible points of view and leave only the loony whack-jobs then you have a nice partisan divide with a clear boundary that everyone can s

Whilst the British government allow hundreds of Isis fighters back into the country and offer them homes and benefits the police arrest these people as they get off the plane ... the reason ... they w

Yep unless your a Muslim immam calling for the deaths of all westerners ... that's ok apparently.......

2 minutes ago, kanny said:

Ahhhh I see I'm the same. 

Yeah, I wasn't sure whether it was a geographical thing as I'd like to read the original piece in context with the opinion. Either way, using official ID documents as a way of accessing no government-approved content is a slippery slope of the highest order. It basically takes what we've been saying about social media platforms and then canonising it in law.

• Like 1

I guess for those who are really trying to hide something it could make things more difficult but for most of us they already have access to a world of information about what we get upto on the Internet.. I don't agree with what is proposed as it's another step towards total control, it's not so much about the information they can gain as I say that is already there it's how they plan to use it and what laws they bring in to exploit it that's the biggest worry.  

9 minutes ago, kanny said:

I guess for those who are really trying to hide something it could make things more difficult but for most of us they already have access to a world of information about what we get upto on the Internet.. I don't agree with what is proposed as it's another step towards total control, it's not so much about the information they can gain as I say that is already there it's how they plan to use it and what laws they bring in to exploit it that's the biggest worry.  

I tend to agree and while you're absolutely correct about the records Hanlon's Law almost dictates that they would never be able to find anything useful until it's too late. If you look at recently publicized cases of people being caught for online crimes they are by far the thinner end of the wedge and predominantly the low hanging fruit and any tragedy is far from being prevented by the authorities. This allows them to legally file you under any category they see fit and on their criteria alone. That will bite someone in the arse in the near future.

• Like 1

This changes the narrative slightly. It's like the opening of a joke. An Austrian, an American and a Canadian walk into customs with a handful of leaflets...

They were denied entry because the Home Office believed they'd be sh*t stirring?

Edited by ChrisJones
Clarity
29 minutes ago, ChrisJones said:

This changes the narrative slightly. It's like the opening of a joke. An Austrian, an American and a Canadian walk into customs with a handful of leaflets...

They were denied entry because the Home Office believed they'd be sh*t stirring?

plenty of inflammatory people come to the uk to speak these 2 seem quite tame in comparison ...I don't see how they can charge the girl with what they did when Tommy hasn't been convicted of what they say ....it's going to be interesting at speakers corner next Sunday lol  

2 minutes ago, kanny said:

plenty of inflammatory people come to the uk to speak these 2 seem quite tame in comparison ...I don't see how they can charge the girl with what they did when Tommy hasn't been convicted of what they say ....it's going to be interesting at speakers corner next Sunday lol  

Agreed mate but the irony of Tommy championing foreigners coming over to Britain to stir up the locals haven't gone amiss either.

We're back to rights versus privileges now and they're spot on that there is no longer freedom of speech.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, saluki bouy said:

The generation identity book great read and I've watched a few vids of that boy on YouTube certainly think there on the right path 

If you watch the video I posted above then maybe there part of the problem or part of the powers that be's   narrative without even knowing it ....it's a interesting half hour  he may challange what you think you know but thats a good thing right? ..I recommend it to anyone :thumbs:

3 hours ago, kanny said:

I'm just watching this and thought it would fit perfectly into this thread

That's a good find Kanny. I enjoyed that. It fit well and it's an interesting view.

Personally, I believe the reason the social media platforms are supporting the left is because of the money attached to it. Look who are the biggest consumers of social media and look how they vote. He rightly touches on the censorship which is correct but it's like we said earlier in the thread if you can eggbox your echo chamber the money will come with those that support your stance. Cracking down on social media violations, he touches on people being arrested for tweets, that's because it's easy and is a visible form of 'policing.' It's like we've said with guns, knives, healthcare, crime, etc. The real solutions are extremely complicated. They're multi-faceted and incredibly expensive. Kneejerk soundbites are much easier and very visible. Especially where online activism is involved.

I disagree where he says these companies are working with the state. I don't believe they need to as the ideas he touches on have already been imparted to them. Again look at the generation that consumes the most social media and then look who is the driving force behind the technology. With the state's reputation for incompetence why would you have them anywhere near your business seeing how they manage their own affairs?

These corporations have been incredibly successful at making money and allowing public sector meddling would seriously dent that. They're censoring purely to protect their revenue stream. At about 27 minutes he gets into world government. I kinda lose it a bit there as there are just too many people with massively different skillsets involved. Again why would a successful corporation dabble in visible politics? One f*ck up and your stock tanks. They're much happier with the status quo.

I agree with his assessment of hate speech. We've done that to death on here over the years but I don't think anyone is under any illusion that free speech exists in Britain today. I don't believe that the political compass is f*cked. The scale is still relevant but totalitarianism can be found on the opposite ends of the scale and is simply misfiled.

In the final part, he claims the police were complicit in protecting the grooming gangs. I don't believe that at all. That would require a genuine conspiracy covering the entire nation. It comes down to incompetence on the part of the local authority and it kinda ties up the issues. Actual people making too many mistakes and afraid to take accountability for that incompetence and combined with the political correction that came with affirmative action. I still believe that those caught are the low hanging fruit and that continues today and will be around for a long time to come.

I agree with your second paragraph Chris he actually contradicts himself a little later on that point but the policing I'm not so sure about but i do think its more complicated than what he's laying out I agree a lot has to do with local authority incompetence but there also seems to be evidence that the police are unwilling to tackle certain crimes and even aiding and abetting some undesirable factions such as antifa ,it was quite evident for example on the March against hate .I like his point about polarisation of any side being unhealthy and far from it being discouraged it seems to be being encouraged  and remember these corporations get a fair bit of slack cut by government regarding things  like tax, if there was real desire loop holes could be closed ,so I don't think its to out the park to consider there maybe "dark" mutual benefiting favours going on between the corporations and and governments .