best all round gun for foxing and rabbiting.

1 minute ago, luke39 said:

17 hmr with 17 grain bullets is more than good enough nice flat round at that range head shoot the rabbits if you want to eat them

would a 17 hmr all closer range deal with foxes maybe with different bullets, what do you think ? 

• 2 weeks later...

.17hmr all day,, it's a great little caliber,, iv shot plenty foxs at 100-160yards and rabbits aswel,, head shoot if your eating them,,I use and have only used 17g v-max ballistic tip ammo not bad for what they are £14 for 50,, the hmr is very accurate and flat shooting out to around 150yards, so basically point and press for the range you have stated,, like you said the more you progress you can look at 223, I have both 223 & 22-250,, but for me my 100% go to foxing rifle is my 223.?Enjoy your decision ??

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't go shooting foxes with a HMR over 100yds to be honest, but I've shot a lot 100yds and under using a HMR, wait for them moving side on and a well placed chest shot drops them. Ideal for rabbit shooting in big numbers also..

I use a HMR for rabbits with thermal as its flats shooting and no hassle with reloading as I shoot a lot of rounds, I did go down the hornet route but its too time consuming loading rounds in bulk when your going through 50-100 a night easy..

If your shooting foxes and not a huge number of rabbits at ranges out to 200yds I would go for the .22 hornet as its gives you more range and dropping power as well as being cheap to reload using the right heads... you can get a 1000 H&N 45gr soft points from Germany for £65 then you will have to add in the time and other costs power, primer, brass, etc..There deadly accurate.

• 1 month later...
On ‎10‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 20:47, walshie said:

Apart from the fact a lot of forces don't like hmr for fox, I personally think 150 yard foxes with an hmr is marginal. 

It does seem true to say that some regions are still not keen on the HMR for Fox, but the latest Home Office Guide clearly states the HMR is acceptable for them.

I do a lot of work with my HMR and I do a lot of foxes.

I'm totally easy with the HMR and foxes to a little over 100 yards and the odd opportunist to maybe 150 if all was right, but if that was the norm I'd take something a bit heavier!

On ‎10‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 19:47, airedaleman said:

what gun would be suitable for less than 150 yards fox shooting and rabbiting and also ammunition to go along with it  

This question has been asked more than once, 1 gun is a compromise whichever way you want to look at it, but you are probably in the area of HMR or 17/22 Hornet!