hi, i am a fifteen year old boy who enjoys all aspects of field sports. i have shot air rifles for a long time but would now like to move on. i wish to apply for a fac and get 1 gun (.17 hmr). i will be shooting pests such as foxes and rabbits. i do live on a farm but my family dont own the land how ever i have known the land owner for years and help him with his cattle and other livestock, hes more than happy for me to shoot on his land. as it says on the fire arms laws that if i own less than two guns and in a secure house where crime is low, i wont need a safe i can use a gun clamp, will there be any problems with that. do you guys see any upcoming problems and if any one can offer and useful advise it would be much appreciated.

It’s always best to go over the top with security, i was advised to put a vault locking safe bolted to a outside wall or concrete floor with separate ammo safe for the rifles, if you show them that you are serious about the safe storage of any firearm this can only go in your favour ? good luck

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking at 15 you'd still need an appropriate adult to countersign too, preferably one who already has an FAC. 

As mentioned cabinet's are inexpensive, bigger the better in my opinion, then as you get more you don't need to upgrade. They last forever and a worthwhile investment, unless they decide to change the BS numbers, then we're all doomed. 

All FEO's are different and want different things, you'll only find out for sure when you get a visit, then they will be able to advise you and help. 

• 2 months later...

Like it or not and rightly or wrongly your age is the first issue.

Clamps/trigger locks/ground anchors/whatever are more intended for shotguns, and you will need a secure location for your ammo anyway.   

A chat with your region would seem appropriate as it's their opinion that is most important, but a Cabinet would also seem a good idea.

:thumbs:

• 1 month later...

Almost certainly a gunsafe with separate ammo compartment required but ask your local police firearms officer. If you havent been naughty in the past you seem to have the perfect 'Good Reason' to own a firearm. I have 4 in a 10 gun safe, .17 hornet to .308 for stalking. - Good luck !