Stud worn out thread in synthetic stock

Hello - the thread in my synthetic stock has worn out because of the stud in my bipod. What's the best way to resolve this problem? To drill another hole? And how do I stop this from happening again? (The thread on the stud seems sharper than I would have thought it should be).

Thanks 

A couple of questions mate, is it a brass thread or is it just a thread tapped into the plastic? What gun is it. And what bipod/sling stud are you using? I only ask as if it's just plastic then your best bet would be to either fit a brass nut into the stock using epoxy. Alternatively if it's a brass thread and the thread has stripped, replace it. It will take some elbow grease to get the old thread out but you can then use the same hole and fit a new nut/thread for it. 

As blackbriar said loctite 4090 is an option although very expensive. Get yourself some strong multi material epoxy, bit of a pain to work with sometimes so wear gloves and if you are doing it indoors get ready for a ride from the fumes :rofl:

If you have a picture of the thread it might be worth chucking it on here and we can advise better. Hope this all helps dude :) 

On 3/9/2018 at 18:03, villaman said:

You can epoxy the stud back into the stock  

Did this with my Supersport ,the thread went plop so mr araldites finest was put in fresh hole and a new stud allowed 24 hours to set proper.Ignore the bullfeathers about sets in minutes you want concrete not jelly:thumbs:

• Like 2

Thanks for all the replies.

On ‎12‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 20:08, Mark_mjs93 said:

A couple of questions mate, is it a brass thread or is it just a thread tapped into the plastic? What gun is it. And what bipod/sling stud are you using? I only ask as if it's just plastic then your best bet would be to either fit a brass nut into the stock using epoxy. Alternatively if it's a brass thread and the thread has stripped, replace it. It will take some elbow grease to get the old thread out but you can then use the same hole and fit a new nut/thread for it. 

As blackbriar said loctite 4090 is an option although very expensive. Get yourself some strong multi material epoxy, bit of a pain to work with sometimes so wear gloves and if you are doing it indoors get ready for a ride from the fumes :rofl:

If you have a picture of the thread it might be worth chucking it on here and we can advise better. Hope this all helps dude :) 

It's a bsa scorpion t10 using a harris bipod. So it's a metal stud going into a plastic stock - would it be simple enough to get a brass nut into the stock and stick it in?

I can't get a photo up as I'm away for a few days but will try when I get back! 

23 hours ago, Will333 said:

Thanks for all the replies.

It's a bsa scorpion t10 using a harris bipod. So it's a metal stud going into a plastic stock - would it be simple enough to get a brass nut into the stock and stick it in?

I can't get a photo up as I'm away for a few days but will try when I get back! 

I cant see it being an issue mate. What i would say is take the stock off, have a look at the inside, if the stock is mostly hollow, you may be able to drill out the old thread and fit a nut on the inside of the stock with a small washer (Assuming it doesn't affect the fit of the action into the stock.) That may be easier than fitting a brass thread into the stock and would provide a more secure fit for your bipod and sling. - here is an example of the stud i'm talking about http://bit.ly/2Du7P90