Commen buzzard

foxdropper

I've recently found a buzzard that was affected by the cold snap I think at first but later changed my mind .Saw him in same general area on side of road for 3 days running so I stopped and caught him easily .like a razor blade so I'm feeding him at home .The thing is ,through no fault of my own  he's very tame to the point i think he was hand reared or at least kept in captivity .I've had bop in past .Started with a comment actually about 20 years ago but gave him away to get a Harris and hunt it .

Has the law changed on keeping buzzards without an a10 or do I need to apply for one and whats the criteria ? .I would love to release him but something tells me he's not going to do so well .

Just need real advice please .

Guest Navek

Will he hop to the fist for food ? Not all captive bred birds have to have rings on he could be chipped and belong to someone ..

as for needing a a10 yes you need one...however you can ring defra tel them that you have found a starved common buzzard and that you are looking after it until fit to release..when the time comes and he can’t be released contact them back tell them that and they will send you a plastic zip tie like cable ring for round his leg ... 

Guest Navek
10 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

Cheers mate that very helpful .He will hop off a perch to my ungloved arm and happily feed .

For it to be that tame mate I’d say probably one of two things ...

1... could be someone’s bird who has had it chipped and not rung 

2... someone could of found it / took it from nest and hand reared it and released it or its escaped...

bop ops don’t get attached to people or become friendly with people so for it to be that tame around you and dogs and hop to your fist to feed means it’s been manned in some shape or form 

Good advice Phil.Trouble is he will be well manned by then.Hes a greedy bugger though ,almost ate a whole rabbit today minus the head .Feral pigeon breast tomorrow if its' not pissing down tonight . Dont' remember my buzzard eating so much and staying tame .Debating whether to stick ankles and Jesses on or not. I'e informed Natural England I have  him  but they dont' seem concerned .The net mentions a temp license to rehabilitate him but NE wasn't concerned about that 

• Haha 1

Must have had some form of contact to be like that.

cover your backside, they may say they ain't bothered, until something comes to the crunch, get everything in writing, or email, and keep it, show you've done your bit if needed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 10/03/2018 at 19:40, Rabid said:

Must have had some form of contact to be like that.

cover your backside, they may say they ain't bothered, until something comes to the crunch, get everything in writing, or email, and keep it, show you've done your bit if needed.

IN TRIPLE FD, the taking of wild birds out of the wild is a dodgy area and one that gives the rspca access to your yard and it's down to you to prove your innocent.You just having that bird there means your guilty so deffo get all your bases covered,i myself would have wrung the vermins neck and i hope it can't be released as there's to many of the rotten things and other wildlife are suffering hard for it....

• Haha 1

Not advice as such but my mate has found two skinny ones this year and fed em up a bit before release.... I was amazed how quick they stopped being vicious buggers to acting like he's there mother... So maybe it not tame... Either way best of luck ?