Summer time

What do you blokes do over the warmer weather with the terriers? Obviously seasons over, the weather is hot. Do you do bits to keep them ticking over, bit of ratting for example? Now the weather is getting warmer, after the storm we had, just wondering best things to do over the summer with them as im still new to the terrier game. I was thinking maybe a bit of ratting on a cool morning and just the normal walks etc. Cheers lads. 

I walk my pup everyday as well. Plan on ratting if I can find some, the people I know dealing with them now are hippies against me using my pup to get rid of them...... anyway. I’ll do more walks this summer in fields near by where he can also get on some gophers, voles, mice, shrews and the like. 

JMHO but mental stimulation is as important to a terrier bred for work as some exercise is. Some terriers don't thrive on a walk around the block. For some a half hours running around a field would be more beneficial than a 2 hour road walk. It's well for those lads who have some ratting to do. They must have very happy terriers indeed. But exercising of a lead must be done in an area you know better than your own back garden and as terriers get older the less exercise means to them. They just want work, work and work. Nothing else compensates for it and the off season can make your best worker turn into the biggest pain in the ass you'll ever have.

Mind you, I really do feel for those terriers who are now put away and the next time they'll see a field is next Autumn. I f***ing hate that.

• Like 5
Guest Navek

This is why it’s always a good idea getting a bit of ratting permission..fair enough every terrier man would prefer to be out digging fox’s and not bothering with rats but through the summer the rats can keep some high  sprung terriers ticking over..

1 hour ago, Navek said:

This is why it’s always a good idea getting a bit of ratting permission..fair enough every terrier man would prefer to be out digging fox’s and not bothering with rats but through the summer the rats can keep some high  sprung terriers ticking over..

More permissions often come with ratting-

• Like 1