Not many get a second chance .....

Very happy with the commitment this pup shows ... she never gives up on a chase and very little gets away from her due to her determination ..... her only niggle that's started creeping in is being territorial over her catches ... when she was bringing this rabbit back there was an old couple walking 2 retrievers about 30 meters behind me and she wasn't happy coming in with the rabbit ... it's not a major issue and I will sort it pretty quickly ......

• Like 6

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What answer did I give you    Who the f**k are ya , ??  When my wife died in 2004 I gave up proper hunting    I just f****d about with rabbits , I had a saluki type at the time of her death I cou

What he said and sorry for being a nob

Very happy with the commitment this pup shows ... she never gives up on a chase and very little gets away from her due to her determination ..... her only niggle that's started creeping in is being te

7 hours ago, socks said:

Very happy with the commitment this pup shows ... she never gives up on a chase and very little gets away from her due to her determination ..... her only niggle that's started creeping in is being territorial over her catches ... when she was bringing this rabbit back there was an old couple walking 2 retrievers about 30 meters behind me and she wasn't happy coming in with the rabbit ... it's not a major issue and I will sort it pretty quickly ......

Very high prey drive dog's seem to have a tendency for that not wanting to come in if they see another dog even me own dog's with each other how do you correct it mate 

Yep same here. If there’s other dogs he will only come back to about 10 metres away then I have to call him in with his catch. If I’m lamping with someone else then I will walk away from them once he has caught and he’s happy to come straight in with it. If there’s no other dogs he’s fine. 

Pup looking good there mate and she’s getting to see plenty. Sure she will be fine. 

• Like 1

Is that being over possessive, or territorial, as you put it? Without knowing the dog I'd put it down to being unsure, worried that the other dogs might steal her catch, so maybe a lack of confidence in her own status? Just wondering. My super dominant, confident lurchers have always retrieved right to hand even when there's other dogs about, whereas the less assertive ones hang back, not wanting to confront their superiors when there is a risk of having their catch taken away from them.

• Like 4
51 minutes ago, skycat said:

Is that being over possessive, or territorial, as you put it? Without knowing the dog I'd put it down to being unsure, worried that the other dogs might steal her catch, so maybe a lack of confidence in her own status? Just wondering. My super dominant, confident lurchers have always retrieved right to hand even when there's other dogs about, whereas the less assertive ones hang back, not wanting to confront their superiors when there is a risk of having their catch taken away from them.

It's definitely an over possessive issue ... if she catches a rabbit with another dog no matter how old or dominant the other dog is there's no way she will give up the rabbit ... she was moving away from me as she knows I don't tolerate that behaviour and she could see the other the dogs coming into view so she was at odds as what to do so decided going up the hill away from me was the best option ... she will come out of it I've had dogs worse than that and they can right ......

37 minutes ago, Casso said:

It’s a confidence issue  no doubt ,  tail waging is an appeasement behaviour, 

the only way you’ll fix it is for the pup to be comfortable in your space 

It is definitely NOT a confidence issue ... nothing bothers this pup she isn't afraid of anything and she spends practically all her time in my company believe me she is comfortable in my space lol .... the raised tail ticking is because she knew she had done wrong but still didn't want to come in but did as she knew she had to ... do yes appeasement but not for what you are stating ......

22 minutes ago, socks said:

It is definitely NOT a confidence issue ... nothing bothers this pup she isn't afraid of anything and she spends practically all her time in my company believe me she is comfortable in my space lol .... the raised tail ticking is because she knew she had done wrong but still didn't want to come in but did as she knew she had to ... do yes appeasement but not for what you are stating ......

Not talking about sitting in your company , it’s more an issue of a dog not registering a behavior when You approach   

There's plenty of clips of that pup retrieving straight into me ... as I said there were two dogs behind me and she didn't want to give up her catch ... simple really .....

9 minutes ago, Casso said:

Sure 

Lol if it was anything different why would I put up the video in the first place with an explanation of what was going on lol ... do you even have a dog fella ....

• Like 1

Simple conclusion take the jukes on her own single one his only reinforcing this behaviour working her with others  she sees has a threat to her catch ,it can be difficult text book retrievers under any condition these days  ya don't see many. Mainly caused by pack keepers of old  one hopes she does not start to see you has a threat socks and the retrieving goes out the window,I have seen this ,your tone of voice on the video I picked up on straight away, the bitch his posturing to submissive behaviour a straight confident  retriever              she still may make but go easy because decline happens rapidly  please take this has a positive because believe me seen it all before  quality sapling good killer bred right enough over zealous handler.atb bunnys