Beesands Damage

I was watching BBC news this morning (a good weather forecast and I have the hots for Carol) and it did a report on some beach in England where because of the severe cold thousands of shellfish, starfish and small fish were washed up on the shore. The local fishermen were going along the beach picking up all the juvenile lobsters who were still alive to bring to tanks and return to the sea.

Apparently it's happened on a few beaches.

• Like 1

I saw that Neil very interesting but I don't think they said why it had happened though. Lots of small clam shells which don't bold well for fishing for the Couches Beam  we get near by as they feed on them, I think its scoured the beach right out. It did look good for a go but March is a crap month for shore fishing usually and i'm trying to get just a bit more ferreting.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Yea  mate heard the same be down there soon. My mate is going to do his peeler pots this week, looking forward to a bit of fishing now ferreting is over. They are not really worth keeping as theres not much meat on them till they get a bit of May water over their backs, nice to catch something though.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
On 02/04/2018 at 11:25, Arry said:

Yea  mate heard the same be down there soon. My mate is going to do his peeler pots this week, looking forward to a bit of fishing now ferreting is over. They are not really worth keeping as theres not much meat on them till they get a bit of May water over their backs, nice to catch something though.

Cheers Arry

I agree mate, the early fish are always spent but feed hard!

I'll be having a go on the kayak in the next week or 2, probably off Seaton or Branscombe as it's been good to us over the past few years..

the plaice runs both spring and end of summer have been pretty good the last few years....

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Had a go last week but the water was dirty, typical blanked. Quite a lot of anglers there not one fish, thats fishing. Some thing interesting chatting to one of the local old boys who does a few pots etc, he reckons there was a school of Tuna chasing anchovies about a week ago. Not large ones but about two foot long could be a bit of fun for the  kayak  boys, don't know if there still around. He reckoned the anchovies have been there all winter though and the Terns were working the tide line about a hundred yards of the beach when I was there. Then the family rang up to ask what the bird were diving on at Beesands a few days later so the bait fish are there in numbers.

Cheers Arry

On 25 April 2018 at 22:04, 8shot said:

Plenty of squid being caught at haldon bud. 

Used to love fishing for them mate, and they go quite well until you get their head out of the water if there big ones. Can't see them Photobucket things mate.

Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1