Adverse Weather Preparations

Food Storage  

24 members have voted

1. 1. How much food do you have in the house in case of emergency?

• Shop Day To Day.
    • 1-7 Days
    • 7-14 Days
    • 14-21 Days
    • 21-28 Days
    • 28+ Days

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/03/18 at 06:00

Britains had a pretty decent winter so far. Not sure if you've had record weather or whether it's just been a surprise in both length and extremity. Even looking through my old local rag showing the M62 being shut for 32 hours with motorists stranded. Skimming through the news this morning there are a couple of articles show supermarkets and shops with empty shelves and urging people not to panic because of the food shortages.

Looking at the ensuing panic because there's no fresh stuff how much food do you keep in as an average? I'm around the month but winter it's up to 3 months because of the potential isolation that the weather can bring.

Thoughts?

Edited by ChrisJones
Posted While Incomplete

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's not been as bad as you read mate, the weather has,nt got any harder but the people a lot softer, surprisingly hard to walk in snow in skinny jeans tucked into socks,daps and a Tshirt, I was fine

Morrison's were out of brioche cobs last night! I take it back, this is a crisis!

Nowt changed by my end like other then the local shop didn't have any copies of the sun which I'm sure nobody gave a f**k about! People were out in there shorts on bikes the lot even when it was comin

3 minutes ago, dave88 said:

I get paid weekly so the missus shops weekly...got 4 eating machines in the house so need to shop like that really

No worries Dave. I hear ya I've got 5 meself but I live 35 miles from the nearest supermarket. Necessity and all that.

It's not been as bad as you read mate, the weather has,nt got any harder but the people a lot softer, surprisingly hard to walk in snow in skinny jeans tucked into socks,daps and a Tshirt, I was fine in a decent pair of boots coat and my thermals and when there is no bread in the shop as every fuckwit has bought a years worth I just bought a bag of flower and made a loaf, we have become a soft ass nanny state were everyone cries to the government for answers to everything instead of just sorting themselves out, you probably have more snowfall overnight than we have had all winter difference being you just get on with it and we moan so much it seems like a national crisis 

• Like 5

I've probably said something similar before; I can't see the need for it here. This past week has been absolutely no significant hindrance to me! The main roads were a bit slippy for no more than Thursday. Couple roads were shut. Always food about. I might have to have my second favourite brand of bread loaf, lol, but it's simply nothing major.

What we had was f**k all in truth and is only a little disruptive to some folks because they're not used to it. If we had it sustained folks would simply adapt through experience.

Edited by Born Hunter
1 minute ago, Greyman said:

It's not been as bad as you read mate, the weather has,nt got any harder but the people a lot softer, surprisingly hard to walk in snow in skinny jeans tucked into socks,daps and a Tshirt, I was fine in a decent pair of boots coat and my thermals and when there is no bread in the shop as every fuckwit has bought a years worth I just bought a bag of flower and made a loaf, we have become a soft ass nanny state were everyone cries to the government for answers to everything instead of just sorting themselves out, you probably have more snowfall overnight than we have had all winter difference being you just get on with it and we moan so much it seems like a national crisis 

I hear ya GM, I still speak to my folks a couple of times a week and they tend to have a little extra in but it's more about the panic buying than anything else. I'm under no illusion that the local rags are embellishing their stories.

1 minute ago, Born Hunter said:

I've probably said something similar before; I can't see the need for it here. This past week has been absolutely no significant hindrance to me! The main roads were a bit slippy for no more than Thursday. Couple roads were shut. Always food about. I might have to have my second favourite brand of bread loaf, lol, but it's simply nothing major.

What we had was f**k all in truth and is only a little disruptive to some folks because they're not used to it. If we had it sustained folks would get simply adapt through experience.

Fair one. Reading the papers it looks like Black Friday on their shelves!

5 minutes ago, ChrisJones said:

I hear ya GM, I still speak to my folks a couple of times a week and they tend to have a little extra in but it's more about the panic buying than anything else. I'm under no illusion that the local rags are embellishing their stories.

Fair one. Reading the papers it looks like Black Friday on their shelves!

Mate my small Sainsburys Local had shit loads in! A bit light on fresh fruit and bread etc but not like they were clean out of anything. I was out with mates yesterday for a bit of sport and finished the day with a pub roast. Roast beef, all the trimmings, place was packed. All very normal and civilised for a country under arctic siege!

Don't get me wrong, I want some proper Day After Tomorrow shit! f**k all the townies off out the countryside so I can actually afford a sensible property! :D

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Don't get me wrong, I want some proper Day After Tomorrow shit! f**k all the townies off out the countryside so I can actually afford a sensible property! 

You need to move out this way, mate! You can get all that without all the nasty apocalyptic side effects! :D

• Like 1

I just read in Wales online that a Londis in Newport was charging £3 for a loaf over the weekend. They had lots left apparently. :laugh: The store manager (name witheld but I bet it isn't Elfed Davies) said he wasn't ripping anyone off. 

4 minutes ago, walshie said:

I just read in Wales online that a Londis in Newport was charging £3 for a loaf over the weekend. They had lots left apparently. :laugh: The store manager (name witheld but I bet it isn't Elfed Davies) said he wasn't ripping anyone off. 

That's f*ck*n ballsy!

Nowt changed by my end like other then the local shop didn't have any copies of the sun which I'm sure nobody gave a f**k about! People were out in there shorts on bikes the lot even when it was coming down hard, but we are Geordies and a few of us don't have full brain cells 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm good for a couple of month of real food and probably another 30 days of survival rations (noodles, rice etc.).

Before I start on the dry goods, I'd be harvesting one of these deer that wander through my place on a regular basis.

Was laid up (house bound) for 20 days last winter, didn't miss anything other than fresh fruit.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

What we had was f**k all in truth and is only a little disruptive to some folks because they're not used to it. If we had it sustained folks would simply adapt through experience.

Depends where you stay out in the sticks with roads totally impassable different scenario

• Like 1