Next they will turn on you

I hope they issue extra licences to deal with the "extra" cormorants.

Does seem strange though that according to these fruitcakes angling is a bloodsport but being eaten alive is perfectly acceptable. 

On 09/03/2018 at 13:41, The one said:

I've seen fisheries shut because they wouldn't issue a licence to kill them 

Hyperthetically of course, if you had a fishery that was getting hammered by any form of predators, why would you publicise it? 

If nobody knew you had a problem, then nobody would know you had dealt with it? Maybe just my way of thinking, I may be miles off the mark but my fish stocks would be maintained and my living go on unhindered. Just a thought, help yourself because as sure as shit stinks nobody else will. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

What I've never understood about these licences to kill cormorants is they say you can kill say, 6 in a year. Hypothetically, on the very rare occasion that they turn up to check and you've just shot one, how would they know if it was your 5th or 500th? :hmm:

• 1 month later...
18 minutes ago, Flacko said:

Anyone seeing any otter damage? They seem to be putting themselves about a bit atb Flacko 

My mate fishes a little pond at the side of the river hyndburn in Clayton and caught a carp last Sunday with most of its tail missing. He’s been saying for a while now that it’s been getting done with otters. There’s a few barbel been found on one of the stretches on the ribble I fish in the last week aswell . I see them regular on the ribble around the balderstone - elston- ribchester areas and also on the Calder around simonstone , even had one swim by me literally 2 foot away while I was stood in the river fishing , didn’t seem to care I was there at all . 

Otters are a new and emerging threat to fish stocks in lakes and ponds, cost hundreds of thousands to try and keep them out with special fencing etc, they can't be touched fullstop....... Only weapon we have to combat them is their lack of sense when it comes to the highway code?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

Otters are a new and emerging threat to fish stocks in lakes and ponds, cost hundreds of thousands to try and keep them out with special fencing etc, they can't be touched fullstop....... Only weapon we have to combat them is their lack of sense when it comes to the highway code?

I picked up 3 last year on one stretch of road just a mile or two long, have also found several dead ones in the Gloucester / sharpness canal, funny thing about the canal is there are very few places an otter can enter and exit the water and these areas have always been home to them, the ones that drown are the farmed ones that these tree huggers breed in captivity then just release without a second thought it's actually crueler than just minding your own business and letting nature take its own course the stretch of road I mention runs along a length of water that is completely devoid of life and over the last few years they have released otters into it on at least 3 occasions and once they eat the odd moorhen the last lot missed they head straight across the main road, here is a slide I found a few months back, this one is just on a dirty land drain with no fish in it, just rats and moorhens for food and no way of leaving without crossing a motorway

image.jpg

• Like 1