Have seen some fantastic leather gear on here over the years, I fancy having a go at making some stuff for myself. What is the best way to start off in terms of tools, materials and projects.

I would like to make a really sturdy belt and a nice sheath.

Had a look at some videos and these projects seem doable but I am aware that skilled people make things look very easy.

All advice greatly appreciated.

Rob

Hi Rob. Well son, a good place to start is leather. Soft malleable leather to start with which is easier to work. Hide can be a bit stubborn and unforgiving. You'll need a hole punch set, good quality yarn and wax. A good set of industrial needles which will include curves. The list goes on and on as you get going. Just by looking at people's work will give you ideas but something really simple to start is going to be a good idea. I made an unusual iPad case, pictured here. Not difficult but very satisfying. Knives sheathes are good as are small wallets. Belts involve soldering iron work and of course brass and the bending of the leather. I know someone, a good friend ,who has a shit load of soft leather in different colours. These are the kind of people who will help you on the way. Jok.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks jok, that a nice little sheath. I really like the look of the heavy thick leathers but like you say these will be harder to work in many respects and very expensive to learn on I would imagine. 

Guest Navek

I just made a belt and an axe belt loop out of 4mm beg tan leather , for a begginger you can buy cheap leather kits off eBay for around £27 and they are very good , the leather you can also buy from eBay