don't know of any prevention that will stop yhem pickin up ticks all together but when the terriers do pick them up sometimes I use vasoline on the ticks sack they breed trough the sack  cant breed they fall off  some lads just pull them but if u don't get the head they will regrow a new sack  and stay were they are years ago an old greyhound man told me too rub the dog with a warm cloth with a drop of paraffin on it  and it worked 

Neem oil I found to be very good cheap but does stink for afew days mix it with warm water in a spray bottle spray on dogs and rub it I find its quite good for fleas also garlic in their diet can help with tick and fleas but to much can be bad for them ATB RT

• Like 1

I use a human tick tweezers on the dog, it's a little plastic tool. You twist them out, directions come on the packet. I think it's the only thing that guarantees to remove the head which is what causes disease as they spew chemicals. It's about £3 for one from the chemist. 

Edited by griffgav
4 hours ago, wipeout said:

don't know of any prevention that will stop yhem pickin up ticks all together but when the terriers do pick them up sometimes I use vasoline on the ticks sack they breed trough the sack  cant breed they fall off  some lads just pull them but if u don't get the head they will regrow a new sack  and stay were they are years ago an old greyhound man told me too rub the dog with a warm cloth with a drop of paraffin on it  and it worked 

if you leave the head in it just comes away after a while, sometimes with a little scab, its dead

Sheep dip usually does the job just be careful not to have the mix to strong. I seen an old man years ago with a pointer dog that he seen some ticks on and all he did was to touch them with a lit cigarette and they just fell of but then we don't all smoke.

Father used to use a fag, which used to get the tick off, but if you pull the body off and your not carefull and the mouth parts get left in the skin it can go bad and cause more problems. My dogs have had loads of fleas over the years but luckily only one tick. I got a cotton bud soaked it with isopropenol alcohol and gave the tick a soaking.   a few seconds and the tick fell off. I'm sure that meths or petrol would have had the same effect.