Wild birds and the cold.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We've been filing up the bird feeder with mixed corn twice a day during this cold spell. Normaĺy every other day.  the poor devils are under strain so I am giving something back for the enjoyment that

Flouted orders not to use the two jars of coconut oil or the bag of pecans in the cupboard. Needs must, it’s f****n life or death out there. Just setting them in the porch before serving for lunch. Ea

The feeders have been mobbed this year , blue , great , coal and long tailed tits , gold finches , redpolls chaff and green finch (although not seen as many as other years ), spotted woodpeckers , nut

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, scothunter said:

Shame there not homing Goldie's lol

No seriously I will check out the transport of one to up here. Even if I can get it to the central belt I can get someone to bring it to the Highlands. 

Have a look at billhardys thread about them.they do look quality.

12 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Making me feel bad here, iv never fed the birds here cos we have a serious amount a cats in our estate an the few folk with feeders out are just cat feeding stations tbh I might put some out in the kennel or summat tho where cats can’t get to without facing dogs ? 

How do the cats get the birds if the feeders are up in a tree? If necessary put a circle of netting around where any seed falls on the ground to keep the cats away from ambushing birds on the ground. Failing that discourage the cats! We'll say no more about that subject.

• Like 1

Yeah there about 30 cats here for 19 houses but other houses on the estate have them cat shelters by their front doors 

i find the cats get the birds when their either on ground pecking at spilt seed or if there's a lawn an their after worms etc

i watched cats run along 6ft fence then wait under a tree for birds to get closer ?

I only ever see 2 cats in the entire street,and they are fat as butter,tame,and don't look like they could catch a cold :laugh: but its not uncommon to see sparrow-hawks flitting around,but since the weather hardened only seen a tiny amount of parakeets locally :blink: