Wild birds and the cold.

We've been filing up the bird feeder with mixed corn twice a day during this cold spell. Normaĺy every other day.  the poor devils are under strain so I am giving something back for the enjoyment that I get throughout the year.  Lots of other houses around me have feeders out. Today when I've been outside the sheer rawness of the biting wind has made me feel so sorry for the people out on the street. I know that some of them want to be out there but it must be sheer hell if you have no other alternative. Not everyone out there is a looser or alky. The Saĺly Army is doing its bit and filling the human feeder.

• Like 14

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We've been filing up the bird feeder with mixed corn twice a day during this cold spell. Normaĺy every other day.  the poor devils are under strain so I am giving something back for the enjoyment that

Flouted orders not to use the two jars of coconut oil or the bag of pecans in the cupboard. Needs must, it’s f****n life or death out there. Just setting them in the porch before serving for lunch. Ea

The feeders have been mobbed this year , blue , great , coal and long tailed tits , gold finches , redpolls chaff and green finch (although not seen as many as other years ), spotted woodpeckers , nut

Posted Images

We make our cooking fat into fat candles for the birds........they love them, especially in the cold. We haven't had a lot of snow, but the wind chill is unbelievable, so we have full feeders and a couple of big handfuls on the ground every day.

And if it attracts rats, there's something else to shoot at !

• Like 3

With the very low temperatures, and the snow covering everything, I reckon these feeders are the difference between life and death for a lot of the birds in my garden right now. And I’m sure that even some of them will perish.

I’ve kept everything topped up and yesterday put an extra tray covered in nuts and crushed fat balls out for the wee birds that get pushed of the feeders and table first.

Had loads of birds coming in and feeders have been getting absolutely smashed, and I’m out of nuts now and low on everything else. So I’m going to have to get a bit creative today I think.

• Like 3

Picked up a wren last night that was only just alive. Put it in stable overnight. Also have a great tit that roosts ever night inside a clear polythene bag hanging up in my wood shed. Good to see he was still there last night. 

• Like 1

same as others topping feeders up regular, got nuts, seed, sunflower hearts and fat balls, all sorts are coming to feed, the wind has a bald patch by the back door so chucking food on there for the ground feeders, got some near tame reed buntings your hardly turned round before their down

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Gilbey said:

got some near tame reed buntings your hardly turned round before their down

I have to be careful of the Scrub Jays... they'll kill the finches at the suet feeder.

Edited by ChrisJones
29 minutes ago, ChrisJones said:

I have to be careful of the Scrub Jays... they'll kill the finches at the suet feeder.

This is an unfortunate side of nature. The other year i saw a hawk swoop onto a sparrow using the gàrden feeder.  The poor sparrow had a look of .... o no, this is not going to end well. This is nature at its cruelest.

1 hour ago, ChrisJones said:

just have a very rare visit from a sparrowhawk here

Edited by Gilbey
silly phone

Just filled up my feeders this morning also lads remember to put out water. Mines was frozen solid just refilled it.

Last week bought two new breeding boxes. No idea how long it will be before they use them if they do. Always been a bit of a bit and miss for me. 

• Like 1