Mink Brocc and Shelby Each Catch a Muskrat!

Thanks once again for sharing your video's! Great training and BEAUTIFUL animal's! Ashame you don't have that beautiful cinnamon one anymore. I watched your video's from when you first got him through his training. He was def a handful when you picked him up  but you seem to get him under control pretty fast. He was a big boy with awesome color! I liked the vid when you went and picked him! He had no respect for humans, real tough, but you gained his respect fast. Your def impressive to buddy! Thank you

58 minutes ago, Lloyd Myer said:

Thanks once again for sharing your video's! Great training and BEAUTIFUL animal's! Ashame you don't have that beautiful cinnamon one anymore. I watched your video's from when you first got him through his training. He was def a handful when you picked him up  but you seem to get him under control pretty fast. He was a big boy with awesome color! I liked the vid when you went and picked him! He had no respect for humans, real tough, but you gained his respect fast. Your def impressive to buddy! Thank you

Why thank you! Yeah, he sure was a unique individual and a shockingly beautiful color. I do miss him sometimes. It's a shame we didn't have more time together. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Lloyd Myer said:

Have you ever thought of getting a terrier one day? If so anything in the ground will be in trouble! Lol, with a terrier and a mink you would have all size sets covered.

Yeah, I've thought about adding a terrier to the team. I might do that someday, we'll have to wait and see what happens :-) 

• Like 1

Foxdropper, Have you seen the video of him picking up the cinnamon mink and training it? If not maybe he will post that one up on here. It's shows how he picked the aggressive one and how he was able to manipulate it's drive to not just being handle but listening to him on recalls and others things. He took a animal that is known for being mean and shows that with the right training and patience you can do just about anything. Hopefully he will post one if he sees this. Great video

• Like 2
On 3/3/2018 at 13:33, foxdropper said:

Would a wild caught mink still be trained in your opinion mate .

Yeah, I've known lots of wild caught mink that trained up just fine, in fact some were surprisingly easy to train. I know a girl who was lucky enough to trap two super easy to tame mink (she had previous mink experience, so this wasn't her first mink) who were so tame that they were feeding from here bare hand within days, and when they escaped from their cages one night, she woke up in the morning to find they never even left her yard! I've also heard of other wild trapped mink that were very difficult to work with, and occasionally you'll trap a mink that is so bad that it would literally starve to death rather than live in captivity! It really comes down to the individual mink in question. I would say the majority of wild caught adult mink could be trained just fine, but there will be occasional exceptions out there. But if you are skilled, and using proper training methods, the vast majority of wild mink are trainable. Now will they end up like a ferret? Probably not. Very few mink ever end up like a ferret. But if you handle and train them properly, could they be handled bare handed and used for hunting? Yes, I believe the majority of wild caught mink could get to that point with a month or two of work, or less if you catch an easy one or you are very skilled. Based on the videos I've seen on YouTube, and the stories I've heard from fishermen, I believe some wild mink could be tamed and trained without even being captured! But I've never actually done this, or heard of anyone else doing that. But I'm confident that with the right mink in the right situation, it could be done. 

This is a link to the videos showing me taming the craziest mink I could find on the mink farm.....

Edited by Minkenry

Let me add this as a note to my previous comment. If you treat a mink like a ferret, you are not likely to have success REGARDLESS of where you get your mink or what age you get it. Very VERY few mink are as forgiving and low maintenance as a ferret is. So if you get a mink and treat it like a ferret, you will quickly find out why most people believe mink are impossible to tame. However, if you get a mink and treat them like the wild animal they are, your chances of success are greatly improved. You have to think and act like a falconer, not like a ferreter or dog man.  

Edited by Minkenry
10 hours ago, foxdropper said:

Great advice mate .might give it a go .Do you hunt rabbits with them or do you not have ground dwelling type of them over there 

Yeah, we catch some rabbits with them too. Typically the mink catches just as many or more rabbits than they flush. So I wouldn't use one with the expectation for them to mostly flush a bunch of rabbits into nets, or you'll likely be disappointed. But the conditions and species of rabbits we hunt are very different from yours, so I could be wrong when it comes to hunting rabbits on your side of the pond. 

Edited by Minkenry