Cormorants ... anyone had any experience ?

Guest vin

I was talking to a frustrated fisheries owner this morning and he was having serious problems with Cormorants visiting his lake and decimating his small fish stocks.

There was at least 20 of them on the lake this morning for a few hours.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

He was doing his best to scare them away etc..But he was failing miserably.

Does Natural England often give out a license to cull? 

Or is it scare tactics with BOP and bird scarers etc?  

A license is needed and all other methods to deter them must have been tried first. Make enquiries with NE. The ticket runs from Oct to mid April I think so you’ve just missed it. It’ll take weeks to sort out so apply in April and they’ll call to see you or your mate ?

Our club had a ticket to cull over a number of years , lots of paperwork and assessments and we could cull about 8 or 9 a year ..that was about ten years ago and I’m no longer involved with the club since I moved away but I’ll try the secretary and see what the criteria is now to get a licence ..

There are 6 of us on license to shoot Cormorants but we are only allowed to 6 per season. That is 6 between the 6 of us and that is after all

other scaring tactics have failed. The people who make these rules up have not got a clue. 

5 minutes ago, sussex said:

Our club had a ticket to cull over a number of years , lots of paperwork and assessments and we could cull about 8 or 9 a year ..that was about ten years ago and I’m no longer involved with the club since I moved away but I’ll try the secretary and see what the criteria is now to get a licence ..

1 minute ago, samboy said:

There are 6 of us on license to shoot Cormorants but we are only allowed to 6 per season. That is 6 between the 6 of us and that is after all

other scaring tactics have failed. The people who make these rules up have not got a clue. 

Anyone would think there is a shortage of them judging by those numbers, what a joke, I see literally hundreds of the blasted things.

6 minutes ago, The one said:

I rember on Loch Fitty before it closed they could only chase them off with a speed boat 

Reminds me of my first ever farm labourer job, I spent all winter on full time pigeon patrol, farmer gave me his shotgun, and 250 carts at a time, my job was walk round the rape fields with my dog putting them up, paid to do what I love and with my dog as well, I thought I had gone to heaven.

• Like 4