Sub zero ferrets

So with the minus temp we are currently enjoying, my sub zero ferret regime is in full swing. Water bottles changed twice a day, meat in smaller portions so it’s scoffed before it freezes, extra dry food and additional hay in there sleeping quarters.

Do you have anything different you do for them in this weather??

Been giving an egg watered down between them also changing water bottles 3 or 4 times a day and putting warm water in them they have been freezing up in an hour. I've put some short battens on the roof over the nest box area then another piece of ply to create an air gap cuts down on condensation on the lid.

Cheers Arry 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, mushroom said:

Warm water freezes quicker than cold ;)

I think that is true but the ferrets drink it more readily when its warm in fact near fight over the bottles. I don't mind changing it more often as long as they are hydrated. 

Cheers Arry

• Like 1

just changing the water bottles more often , they sleep in a open topped box in the corner filled with tea bag paper  it must be warmer there they are all sleeping in a bunch rather than staggered about in the shavenings in the hutch and just feeding full caraccess  

a good trick is get a cardboard box that fits in the nest box ,fill it with straw or hay shut the lid and tape down then cut an entrance hole.....they will be snug in there.....you can do the same for dogs as well with a big box the size that fits on a pallet......cardboard is a great insulator

• Like 3

Having to change water bottles a few times a day, put a bale of straw in with them and filled nest boxes up. My misses wanted to bring them in side but iv found pugs do OK in cold weather it's the heat that kills them. Feeding small amounts stop it freezing and like above given warm milk. Atb 

• Like 1