Hunting with an air rifle, - PCP Vs Springer.

6 hours ago, Rez said:

You two are making me think a bit now. Im would consider myself a half decent shot, from my preferred shooting position, either springer, 98 or 97, Ill ping 5 pees all day long at any distance within reason, but, take me out of my comfort zone, like the knee, or prone, Im wank, standing supported is kinda ok. Its something I must work on though. Viz. 60 paces, when stance are you shooting? Thats a long way man.

It’s all about practice & hold, you get to know your equipment, what it’s capable of, don’t get me wrong I’ve had a few guns that just didn’t cut the mustard, you have to be comfortable, the balance has to be there, a gun that suits you is just an extension of you arm that connects with your brain, then it’s just a case of see it, work out the distance, load , lift & lock, then squeeze that trigger, 9 times out of ten you know before you squeeze that trigger it’s in the bag, ask any of the lads that’s shot with me, I never take bi-pod shots or off the ground shots, at times I may rest against a tree or post, maybe a few off the knee, but 95% are free standing, the only use of a bi-pod to me is to rest my gun when having a break, as I don’t like to put a gun down unless I know it’s not going to get marked / damaged.

• Like 2

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

if im turning up at a new perm or a perm with a serious problem I'll take a pcp and wipe out as many as I can.... but if is a chilled keep it under control and show your face it'll be a springer

As always Simon, a well written post. For those of you who do not really know Simon, he is an exceptional springer shooter and to see him in action is something to behold. I remember when Simon u

Well this topic appeals to me, I have shot at targets & hunted,with both pcp & springers, Both with good results on the right days, I’ve had some great pcp rifles which at times are very usefu

Posted Images

Well I joined this one late, sorry Mark.

My answer is simple. I've just put my r10 and all accessories including pump and bipod etc for sale to go back to springers. It's just not fun anymore with a pcp.....any pcp to be honest. All the good ones are just too clinical and are great if your job depends on it as i mentioned in a post by Viz the other day but its my hobby and i get WAY more out of it with the simplicity of a springer so thats why its all for sale pal.

I'm not the best shot in the world but I understand the science behind  technique with a Springer and I can actually work on one if I need to rather than send it off all the time for servicing etc.

Pcps are a massive leap in airgunning technology that just keeps progressing with every model but while my eyes and hands will let me shoot a good old Springer and drop a bunny at 50 yards I'm going to keep with the Springer as they are more than capable as you know only too well mate???

• Like 3

I totally agree with your thoughts on this Matt and have picked up on this reversal from many airgun lads.

As an example - I own 6 air rifles, 4 are spring rifles, 2 are classics, 2 modern and 2 are PCP.

Today I picked up my 1978 springer before the PCP`s and what care free fun I had, even in that weather :D.

Can`t see myself buying any more PCP`s mate.

atb  Mark.

• Like 2

I'm late on this one as well and, to be honest, I'm not really sure how to answer but, here goes.........

I've felt like going completely springer in the past but, when I sold my old HW100ktla, I immediately regretted it so, I bought an HW100s.

It's such a slick, accurate rifle and, it gives me a lot of confidence when hunting - especially at night.

....... I've said it before but, at the moment, I don't think there is a better all round air rifle.

However, if I'm feeling on form, I'll grab a springer for a day time hunt.

Also, at the range, that HW100 gets boring very quickly - for tin chickens and paper targets, my springers are a lot more fun and, a good shot/group is so much more rewarding.

I still don't know if I've answered the original question but, I think both types of rifles have their place and, I'd like to always have at least one of each.

....... For me, that has to be the the HW100 and the TX200hc, both in .177 :thumbs:

30 minutes ago, Jonjon79 said:

I'm late on this one as well and, to be honest, I'm not really sure how to answer but, here goes.........

I've felt like going completely springer in the past but, when I sold my old HW100ktla, I immediately regretted it so, I bought an HW100s.

It's such a slick, accurate rifle and, it gives me a lot of confidence when hunting - especially at night.

....... I've said it before but, at the moment, I don't think there is a better all round air rifle.

However, if I'm feeling on form, I'll grab a springer for a day time hunt.

Also, at the range, that HW100 gets boring very quickly - for tin chickens and paper targets, my springers are a lot more fun and, a good shot/group is so much more rewarding.

I still don't know if I've answered the original question but, I think both types of rifles have their place and, I'd like to always have at least one of each.

....... For me, that has to be the the HW100 and the TX200hc, both in .177 :thumbs:

you'll be a millionaire now you've sussed the perfect pair now jon.... till your next purchase:laugh:

I put money on it you get another cricket!! lol 

• Haha 1
On 3/1/2018 at 21:01, Jonjon79 said:

You made the very points that I also feel Jon and for me this is the perfect situation. If I were a better springer shot, I may use one for some hunting but not sure about that.

I must admit to a certain envy to those who are good enough to do as well with the springer as they do with the PCP but I am not one of those however I really enjoyed target shooting with my tuned TX200, an absolute tack driver but way to heavy to be walking around the fields with....................................for me anyway. This is why I rather like the HW57 as it is much lighter that other AA or HW rifles and just might offer me a rifle that I would take out in the field but down on my wish list at the moment.

Phil

Everyone shooting situation is different, if a springer or PCP works then fine, both have + and - points.

I rather favour multi shot PCP these days, even with shot count and bottles etc!   Smooth and easy to shoot!

I am a decent shot, but even I can see the multi shot PCP makes me a tad lazy, always knowing I have a backup shot, single shot springer focuses "me" more on that one shot! 

:thumbs:

• Like 1
12 hours ago, 14thepot said:

Springer all the way for me. 

Dont have to worry about refilling 

and you can just pick it up and go. 

What the f'k is that image of in your avatar man? 

Clack ! clack! clack! clack! clack! clack! clack! clack! and a fecking  CLACK! CLACK! :icon_redface:

No, not anymore, they were accurate (a Benjamin and a Sheridan blue streak) but nothing stayed around long enough to shoot :laugh:

2 minutes ago, mark williams said:

Clack ! clack! clack! clack! clack! clack! clack! clack! and a fecking  CLACK! CLACK! :icon_redface:

No, not anymore, they were accurate (a Benjamin and a Sheridan blue streak) but nothing stayed around long enough to shoot :laugh:

I know folks whove took some numbers of rabbits with theres i dont shoot rabbits but mines had plenty of stick on rats pheasants and ducks.