Hunting with an air rifle, - PCP Vs Springer.

Something was said to me , in a passing conversation, on here the other day and it has, had me thinking since.

One of the lads said to me, - "Mark I would never buy a spring rifle for hunting, the only place I would use a spring rifle is down at my range".

Now I use both PCP and Spring Rifles for hunting but I do wonder what others thoughts are on this, as the original question that brought this up was " shot count" out in the barns, etc, ratting.

When I`m decoying Wood Pigeons in the Summer months, I find the spring rifles superb as well as my pcp rifles.

I fully appreciate the pcp values when ratting, rabbiting also.

The simple, "get up and go" with spring rifles and the life and character they have within them has always appealed to me, - I feel "far more involved" in the whole shooting process with spring rifles.

IMG_0033.thumb.JPG.9d9dcd3e60cd3d58b5a7564c93c2fb04.JPG

Your thoughts please lads ? :hmm:

• Like 2

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

if im turning up at a new perm or a perm with a serious problem I'll take a pcp and wipe out as many as I can.... but if is a chilled keep it under control and show your face it'll be a springer

As always Simon, a well written post. For those of you who do not really know Simon, he is an exceptional springer shooter and to see him in action is something to behold. I remember when Simon u

Well this topic appeals to me, I have shot at targets & hunted,with both pcp & springers, Both with good results on the right days, I’ve had some great pcp rifles which at times are very usefu

Posted Images

After years and years of hunting with springers i bought a air arms pcp and whilst i wouldn't admit it my sons a far better shot so i let him shoot whilst i drive and the first noticeable difference is the noise  if you missed your rabbit ect often it will just raise its head unsure of where the noise came from . then unlike a break barrel just working the bolt gets your next shot ready and he often takes 4 from 5 rabbits or 5 from 6 rabbits a thing he could never do with a springer as the extra movement seems too alert them to the danger 

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, Rez said:

It means we're all the same as you mate. Hunting with a spring is far better. 

Your asking something as plain as - Is tomorrow Thursday...? Course it bloody is! :D 

Irrelevant of shot count.

No need to answer like that Rez, I am asking peoples thoughts on this matter with a please involved ?

• Like 1

Well as it was me who made the original comment, I should perhaps explain further.

I think 'The One' has summed it up very well, PCP offers a fast second or follow up shot, quiet and predictable. 

For me, the springer is a rifle that I enjoy improving my groups on paper and would like an HW57 which despite most people not liking, I really do after shooting one. I have no desire to hunt with one but not something that is set in stone, perhaps simply a case that I have not found a springer that I want to hunt with.

I must confess that I am not a good springer shooter which is also part of my logic.

Sorry Rez, I don't really know how you can make such a statement, clearly we are NOT all the same.

Phil

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I wasn't meaning to start a bitchin' war Marko. No way whatsoever my man. I just interpret it as the question your asking is pretty obvisous...

Is a springer as potent as a PCP in the field... Yes. Yes It is. One may not shoot 'as much' but what is shot is earnt.

Edit* Cue the picture of you in front of a load of pigeons with your TX.......... :) 

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, mark williams said:

Not obvious at all Rez, my mates gun shop, RFD, is reporting a steady increase in spring rifle sales compared to PCP.

Simply asking the forum lads their thoughts thank you.

Sound mate. Sorry, I misinterpreted your OP.

What are you actually askin' then? 

Is a spring rifle as good as a PCP for hunting? :)  < F'kin love this emo.

Well this topic appeals to me, I have shot at targets & hunted,with both pcp & springers, Both with good results on the right days, I’ve had some great pcp rifles which at times are very useful, quite multi shots, given you a quick easy second shot third etc, for when you duff a shot or your in a prime location with six rabbits in very close proximity of each other & you can rapidly dispatch the lot, but I’ve been in the same situation wacking 100+ crows with a pocket full of pellets, cocking ,loading & holding a good spring rifle that has a bit soul, both of which give you the adrenaline boost you search for, there are modern & classic springers that can and will shoot as quite and accurate as any pcp, I would say the only advantage of a pcp would be shooting from a vehicle where space is limited for loading, and I’ve just got rid of my pcps and gone back to a springer as it suits me & my shooting permissions & range shooting.

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, vizlauk said:

Well this topic appeals to me, I have shot at targets & hunted,with both pcp & springers, Both with good results on the right days, I’ve had some great pcp rifles which at times are very useful, quite multi shots, given you a quick easy second shot third etc, for when you duff a shot or your in a prime location with six rabbits in very close proximity of each other & you can rapidly dispatch the lot, but I’ve been in the same situation wacking 100+ crows with a pocket full of pellets, cocking ,loading & holding a good spring rifle that has a bit soul, both of which give you the adrenaline boost you search for, there are modern & classic springers that can and will shoot as quite and accurate as any pcp, I would say the only advantage of a pcp would be shooting from a vehicle where space is limited for loading, and I’ve just got rid of my pcps and gone back to a springer as it suits me & my shooting permissions & range shooting.

I thought about you actually as this post occurred, knowing you've gone all boingy :) ... Perhaps what Mark was saying about his RFD and customers preferring spring products to PCP is similar to you Viz, PCP gets a bit stale after some time and as edit, it suits some better than other with regard the intended purpose.

What scope you gone for? Or going for?