Dog picking runs

47 minutes ago, delswal said:

Why would I want less? I want 100% from any dog I work, it may not be as good as the next dog but at least I know the dog is doing it's best for me then in return I will do my best for the dog. Sound easy enough for you to follow?

Just the subject is picking there runs and 100% sounds like a dumb ass dog running through fences to catch.I feel some hunters would cull a dog for using its bush sense and breed from a psycho speed machine,thus losing working ability and sense in their animals.I'm not talking coursing dogs but dogs that spend day in day out in rough country.They are giving 100% but in a smart way even when it looks like there jacking.

• Like 5

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Think there’s a difference between picking runs and not bothering at all. If there’s a rabbit sat a couple of feet from cover and my dog is way off then I wouldn’t expect him or even want him to go fu

I like to be the one picking the runs not the dog. 

IMO most Lurchers that have been worked regularly on rabbit will in time pick and choose their runs, and just like stalking their rabbits it’s no problem for me.  

Posted Images

There is a lot left to interpretation, in the description of a dog picking it’s runs, and a big difference between jacking and cold quitting, I will say this much, I can call my dogs off a rabbit sitting 400 yards away on a burrow when they take off,  but if it was closer to than 50, not a chance.

Is that picking their runs? If it is I’m glad they do, or they would be dead from heat stroke or exhaustion, by mid day, literally running them  self’s to death.

An old saying. Wake up Australia, Tasmania is floating away!

a dog "picking" runs is it choosing not to run certain rabbits or pulling up because it "thinks" it can't catch them ffs, like wk said the dog doesn't always know best, a fence sitter on the lamp could be a easy catch, doesn't mean the dog is going to chase crisp packets in the day or run through razer wire because there's a rabbit sitting on a hedge two field away lol

• Like 1
5 hours ago, mhopton said:

Haaaa get real fella 

In what way? Had running dogs 30 years , collie / grey, bed / grey, bull / grey, lurcher to lurcher, saluki / grey, all dogs have taken the lot excelled at stuff that there breeding was intended for but everyone of them were never stupid enough or inexperienced enough to chase  after bunnies in the distance next to hedges or burrows, that's real fella?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, cantona said:

In what way? Had running dogs 30 years , collie / grey, bed / grey, bull / grey, lurcher to lurcher, saluki / grey, all dogs have taken the lot excelled at stuff that there breeding was intended for but everyone of them were never stupid enough or inexperienced enough to chase  after bunnies in the distance next to hedges or burrows, that's real fella?

Yeah, right, never inexperienced enough?? How does that work? Born to Have experience?

Cheers, D.

• Haha 1

I got both here a heavy old dog,he will sit and watch the younger dog racing up time,time again.she does catch the odd one,but its very rare.its personnel choice we want a clever dog so to train it to a good standard,and then posts say i will choose what it runs and dont.it all depends on the dog,ground,country,quarry.i went out with a do called lurcher man once,he sent his collie,grey on every bloody rabbit,missed em all,my ole terriermans bullx,built like a tank with the turning circle of a bin lorry,trotted up to sitters and bang,5 in the bag.horses for courses.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Qbgrey said:

I got both here a heavy old dog,he will sit and watch the younger dog racing up time,time again.she does catch the odd one,but its very rare.its personnel choice we want a clever dog so to train it to a good standard,and then posts say i will choose what it runs and dont.it all depends on the dog,ground,country,quarry.i went out with a do called lurcher man once,he sent his collie,grey on every bloody rabbit,missed em all,my ole terriermans bullx,built like a tank with the turning circle of a bin lorry,trotted up to sitters and bang,5 in the bag.horses for courses.

Training cleverness and running clever are two different things i think. I seen saluki coursing types who wont come back but run very clever cutting things off and pulling up at hedges.

• Like 2
On 28/02/2018 at 11:08, W. Katchum said:

Bollocks, for starters pal who says it’s a no chance run? You? The dog? Nobody knows if it’s catchable until it’s been run, iv saw dogs refuse hedge sitters an then a more driven dog slip an a lot times rabbits will hop into hedge but other times they run along it, or away from it an it’s in bag after few turns, granted you don’t run pups on hedge sitters until they brimming with confidence, an for a fit dog another run is just that, another run an with many more in tank they don’t mind, but to slip a green dog in hedge sitters on nice nights is a million miles away from slipping a fit experienced mutt on a dark nights with wind howling, like I said it’s upto guy holding lead an lamp to get best from his dog? but like the men some dogs are also lacking or we would al have great animals???

Got to agree with that mate... good bit of wind in your face, those hedge sitters often make stupid mistakes and it's another in the bag... not for a novice dog but certainly an experienced mutt will account for quite a few around the hedge bottoms 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, C.green said:

Training cleverness and running clever are two different things i think. I seen saluki coursing types who wont come back but run very clever cutting things off and pulling up at hedges.

Nothing better than a dog that runs clever IMO...

little bitch here has caught a lot of rabbits for me and rubs real clever, I'll send her on in the dark flick the beam on and she's up on em, will run out of the beam on the way out, and is great at boxing off the hedges... catches he'll of a lot in the hedge too... she makes up for her lack of size and top end speed by running clever... the big dog here on the other hand is all guts and glory... loads of pace runs everything like its her last run ever, stupid big killing machine lol... a mix of the 2 and you'd have a winner lol

Edited by NEWKID
  • Haha 1