Dog picking runs

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Think there’s a difference between picking runs and not bothering at all. If there’s a rabbit sat a couple of feet from cover and my dog is way off then I wouldn’t expect him or even want him to go fu

I like to be the one picking the runs not the dog. 

IMO most Lurchers that have been worked regularly on rabbit will in time pick and choose their runs, and just like stalking their rabbits it’s no problem for me.  

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

Just means it has better working blood in it to me,compared to a track dog running through barbed wire to try to catch the uncatchable.

Just because a dog will bust a gut to get to anything it’s slipped on doesn’t mean it can’t run smart. 

30 minutes ago, cantona said:

If a dogs still chasing bunnies that are sat next to there burrows or hedge after a couple of seasons it's not been worked enough 

Right mate,any dog or older hound done lots of graft will pick its runs,or trot up slowly,its called brains.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

I don't lamp or have my dogs on slip leads just ferreting and mooching,so the dog learns his limits by experience.

Ok, let's put it another way, if you send your dog out or set it on, which ever term you prefer and IT chooses not to run, how can you judge it's limitations if has not given 100%?

5 minutes ago, delswal said:

Ok, let's put it another way, if you send your dog out or set it on, which ever term you prefer and IT chooses not to run, how can you judge it's limitations if has not given 100%?

I don't set them on anything when hunting,they know what to do themselves and are obedient.I'm not interested in pushing them , there hunting bred dogs not racing dogs.Why do you wan't 100% when 80% fills the bag and few injuries.I doubt many people give 100% whatever they do.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

I don't set them on anything when hunting,they know what to do themselves and are obedient.I'm not interested in pushing them , there hunting bred dogs not racing dogs.Why do you wan't 100% when 80% fills the bag and few injuries.I doubt many people give 100% whatever they do.

Why would I want less? I want 100% from any dog I work, it may not be as good as the next dog but at least I know the dog is doing it's best for me then in return I will do my best for the dog. Sound easy enough for you to follow?