Hunting days USA

Just now, Varminator said:

He breeds more for track drivers than coon dogs but ice seen some good coon dogs from his line

We don’t have much fun to tree other than coon where I’m at. Up north there’s cats and you can go a state over to run bear but here it’s coon or opting for trail hounds/sight hounds for coyotes. 

My only thing with having a coon hound is I’d really be an asshole cause I’d never sleep 

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My friend and I took this lady out hunting on one of my permissions back in February. We dug her JRT on a five foot dig to a coon. He did really well for only his second time out working. Bolted the c

My dog Lucas and I after a five foot dig. He worked two big boar coons in this sett for a little over an hour. It was a good dig through many tree roots, some thicker than my arm. I think that this wa

My buddy who got me into the dogs

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, dillydog said:

I know people who have had them as pets, although they just kept the odd young one they found. Decent pets but hated being cornered is the general consensus from the few people I’ve known who had them

A friend of mine used to buy a lot of birds on the continent and bring them back here to Ireland to sell. All legal with the proper paperwork. Now and again he'd be asked to bring in mammals and brought in Racoons, Dingos and Wallabees  for collectors. Again all legal. When picking up these animals the sellers had Muntjac and Sun Bears too for sale. 

If you think the Mink's been a problem just be glad the Racoons not feral yet. Mind you, my lurcher treed a Fox the day before yesterday and me with no terrier to throw up that tree. Treeing Coons would be a hunt I'd enjoy.

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, Yankeeterrier said:

I know people who have had them as pets, although they just kept the odd young one they found. Decent pets but hated being cornered is the general consensus from the few people I’ve known who had them

It can get emotional when raccoons kick off on their owners ,

my missus got bit by a pet skunk years ago which I found amusing ??

• Like 1
On 3/2/2018 at 21:20, neil cooney said:

A friend of mine used to buy a lot of birds on the continent and bring them back here to Ireland to sell. All legal with the proper paperwork. Now and again he'd be asked to bring in mammals and brought in Racoons, Dingos and Wallabees  for collectors. Again all legal. When picking up these animals the sellers had Muntjac and Sun Bears too for sale. 

If you think the Mink's been a problem just be glad the Racoons not feral yet. Mind you, my lurcher treed a Fox the day before yesterday and me with no terrier to throw up that tree. Treeing Coons would be a hunt I'd enjoy.

Why didn't you climb up ya big fat f****r

• Haha 1
30 minutes ago, fat man said:

Why didn't you climb up ya big fat f****r

It was only an Ash tree and probably wouldn't have took the weight, LOL. Truth be told it's a tree I've walked by many's a time and never noticed how it branches out into four boughs and has a lot of ivy so I'll try a terrier in it some time. I've bolted many's a Fox from a tree. It saved a few days that would have been blank otherwise.

1 minute ago, foxdropper said:

Local pack to me would have sparse days if it weren't for lime trees and such in the park .Takes a special dog to do tree work regular 

I had a little small bitch one time called Tig that Fatman bred out of his Tod and Bess, if I remember correctly ,who had a super nose. But she started marking Rabbits so I gave her to a Huntsman of a large pack. I told him not to use her for stopping  but only when hounds marked and that she wouldn't let him down. 

I rang him a few weeks into cubbing and asked him how he was getting on with her ? He said I wasn't kidding about her nose. Hounds had marked a hole at the bottom of a tree and Tig was tried. She said no and they said Cooney's given us a bad one. Tig stood on her back legs looking up into the tree. They threw her up and the fox bolted. I've seen it a good few times and often wondered how many times a fox has looked down on us as we passed.

• Like 2

Everyone here who hunts tree dogs usually uses a hound or mountain cur type dogs. I coonhunted with treeing walkers and blue ticks all through my childhood.. owned a few as an adult but was too busy with gamecocks etc to pursue it seriously..