Poke nets

Arry

Now i've never even seen a Poke net let alone held one. Would they be better that a large purse net for a top of a hedge stop net or run net? 

Also just from pictures they seem to be a four foot net ringed on both ends with draw cord pegged on both ends with the net just floating between is that right?

Cheers Arry

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Phil Lloyd said:

Handy nets for gaps and runs on top of the hedge of in the ditches. 

All they are is mini-gate nets (same as used for the Hares...and when knotted onto sliders, they are deadly...:thumbs:

What diffence do you think sliders make rather than rings Phil? 

46 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Poke nets iv got are just big purest nets with 2 pegs an I usually just use em when ye got a few holes together or round base of trees, tried holding them up with twigs an sticks on runs but ended up using small 6 yders

In agreement with this

11 hours ago, Arry said:

Now i've never even seen a Poke net let alone held one. Would they be better that a large purse net for a top of a hedge stop net or run net? 

Also just from pictures they seem to be a four foot net ringed on both ends with draw cord pegged on both ends with the net just floating between is that right?

Cheers Arry

My purse nets are all four footers so any poke net i would make would be 5 or 6 foot  long  double pegged and  as my nets are 20 meshes wide i would also add a few extra meshes to compensate for the extra length   but i wouldn't bother with the sliders and just use rings as there's only a millisecond between rings and sliders  in my view and if you set your nets with a taut drawcord  if that's the right word the net should start pursing the second the rabbit hits it anyway 

• Like 2

Thanks Lads for that much as I thought then. I think we will make a few up and give them ago, when I say we I mean my mate as the base of my thumbs get me feck these days. The main use would be the top of the hedge run nets they should purse twice as fast being pegged at both ends in theory with less chance of snagging crap. The hedges down here range from 3' to about 8' high banks often very thick cover and 5' to 8' wide so a lot of hedge crawling, they flail them in the autumn so we end up with lots of black thorn bit on the ground in the hedge. Some times as the rabbit is pursing up in a run net and the slack in the net picks up the scrap black thorn bit and the rabbit rolls out and your left with a ball of net and black thorn twigs etc. Our most common net we use is 20 x 20 knots purse net experamented over the years but this  seems to work for us and not to much slack to get hung up

Cheers Arry

Edited by Arry

Another thing to look at is the drawcord you can get it up to 3mm and its nice colourful stuff but if your looking for a faster closing net go down to 1.2 mm  , but if a rabbits got a ferret up its ar*e coming out a burrow it should be motoring anyway 

• Like 1