First ferret advice

I would give you two Jill's but miles away mate, I agree with advice from above and if you have any questions there's some good folk on here for advice. Bedding, food aside once you have the kits it's handle and play with them every day mine are in large courts but come out to play at feeding and cleaning time and of course were out ferreting, I always start mine  on small places wich hold a rabbit or two and once a bunny is in the bag I allow pugs to rag it and then box them up and work a veteran, next time out work them longer. Cared for and entered propley your pugs will become good workers and great pets.

• Like 2

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I dont know where in wales you are but i will be breeding some from my workers this summer...... drop by and take what you want mate, probably sort you a dozen nets and a carry box to go home wit

This is just my opinion and nothing else, but I would wait a few months and get two jill kits at 8 weeks or so old. I feed my  ferrets mainly on minced chicken carcass, liver and hearts, with the

Yep agree with above two Jill kits from the same litter ... as for feeding .. rabbit pheasant squirrel pigeon any meat really ... not to much offal as it scouts them ... as for bedding i use shredded

11 hours ago, gwalchmai4110 said:

I dont know where in wales you are but i will be breeding some from my workers this summer......

drop by and take what you want mate, probably sort you a dozen nets and a carry box to go home with you aswel bud

atb

I'm on Anglesey so any where is far haha that's a fantastic offer and if you are  close enough I'd really appreciate that mate 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jerry71 said:

I would give you two Jill's but miles away mate, I agree with advice from above and if you have any questions there's some good folk on here for advice. Bedding, food aside once you have the kits it's handle and play with them every day mine are in large courts but come out to play at feeding and cleaning time and of course were out ferreting, I always start mine  on small places wich hold a rabbit or two and once a bunny is in the bag I allow pugs to rag it and then box them up and work a veteran, next time out work them longer. Cared for and entered propley your pugs will become good workers and great pets.

Cheers mate but that's the problem with liveing on an island everything is fecking miles away 

The more I handle them the less chance they should be a biter or is it luck of the draw?  

And is the such a thing as recall I know there never going to listen like a dog. but can you call them out of a warren or do you just dig to them 

i know these questions sound daft But I have no real experience with ferrets and don't want to fk it up

Handle handle handle and they should NEVER bite you once they have passed the kit stage and learned that you will not tolerate biting ... as for recall you can train them to come to you but it will never work if they are on a rabbit ....

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, socks said:

Handle handle handle and they should NEVER bite you once they have passed the kit stage and learned that you will not tolerate biting ... as for recall you can train them to come to you but it will never work if they are on a rabbit ....

Its just like a starting a dog  more time I put in the better it will be . 

How do you stop a biteing  ferret ? 

And as for working how old do you start them around a year? 

11 hours ago, green dragon said:

Cheers mate but that's the problem with liveing on an island everything is fecking miles away 

The more I handle them the less chance they should be a biter or is it luck of the draw?  

And is the such a thing as recall I know there never going to listen like a dog. but can you call them out of a warren or do you just dig to them 

i know these questions sound daft But I have no real experience with ferrets and don't want to fk it up

Like I said mate handle every day and if you have kids get them to play with them as pugs love to play. When I feed mine I shake my keys and they fly to the door of court as they no its feed, play time. When they are to ground they will come to sound of keys but we always put locators on them and dig down to pug and coney, my pugs work above ground as well in log piles, brambles etc along side my curs, all kits will nibble on fingers but soon get out of it with proper handling just like a puppy. Also if your going to get 9 week old kits your gonna need a hutch as a large court will be two big in my opinion for tiny kits, just put hutch inside court. If you pm me I will send you Simon whiteheads book for free. Do you know anyone on the  lsland who goes ferreting, any problems just ask mate atb. 

If everything works out iv got a couple of weeks off work in summer so I could spend loads of time with them. And the missus is more than happy to help. Thanks for the offer about the book but my missus ordered ( Ferreting: An Essential Guide) last night off ebay . I only know one lad and he works on a farm 7 days aweek I just never see him. And with lambing now I havnt got a chance of bumping into him. Cheers for all the advice and no dout you will get a few pm lol 

22 hours ago, green dragon said:

If everything works out iv got a couple of weeks off work in summer so I could spend loads of time with them. And the missus is more than happy to help. Thanks for the offer about the book but my missus ordered ( Ferreting: An Essential Guide) last night off ebay . I only know one lad and he works on a farm 7 days aweek I just never see him. And with lambing now I havnt got a chance of bumping into him. Cheers for all the advice and no dout you will get a few pm lol 

That's the book I was offering you. Some good information in it. But nothing like getting out ferreting for your self. Just keep it simple, dozen good nets, pug, locator and spade. Atb 

3 hours ago, ollieollie said:

And dont forget to get them used to wearing collars!! makes your first trip smoother. You'll be hooked, i love working as a team with my ferts & dog

That a good point, I make my own replacement collars, so make up a couple without transmitter on put on let them run around there run no problems when it comes to the real thing.

Cheers Arry

1 hour ago, Lowther said:

Is there a preferable time of year to get them? And would you need to get them off someone who works ferrets for them to work?

I would try and go for an early litter April May if you can that way you could be using them maybe November December. A good working line would be good But having said that I once bought some from a country store out let on whim (I just liked the look of them)and they turned out to be crackers.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Arry said:

I would try and go for an early litter April May if you can that way you could be using them maybe November December. A good working line would be good But having said that I once bought some from a country store out let on whim (I just liked the look of them)and they turned out to be crackers.

Cheers Arry

Nice one mate, I don't know of anyone who goes ferreting up my way so I might struggle to find any so if anybody knows of anyone Newcastle way who might have any for sale I would appreciate it!