Banned school hairstyles

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/22/pupils-threatened-isolation-sport-meet-mcdonalds-haircut/

Seems a bit f***ing ridiculous to me. Frankly, what right should a state school have to dictate what hairstyle it's pupils have?

Doesn't even seem that bad to me. It's a young style but not what I would class as low in the standard it presents. Not that I think that should be the schools business anyway.

I break one of those rules and I work in a white collar profession.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i went to a comp in the 70,s....no uniform,,,,no restictions on dress....lads that were punk dresed in punk gear...lads that were mods dressed like it,,,,ect ect ect..... and you can see from my

Oddly enough something I have personal experience of. its nothing new, schools were doing this 30 years ago. i remember me and my pals all tramping up to the barber on the last day of the su

Good job the kid wasn't wasn't a yank. He would have came in the next day and shot the f***ing place up. 

45 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/22/pupils-threatened-isolation-sport-meet-mcdonalds-haircut/

Seems a bit f***ing ridiculous to me. Frankly, what right should a state school have to dictate what hairstyle it's pupils have?

Doesn't even seem that bad to me. It's a young style but not what I would class as low in the standard it presents. Not that I think that should be the schools business anyway.

I break one of those rules and I work in a white collar profession.

Oddly enough something I have personal experience of.

its nothing new, schools were doing this 30 years ago.

i remember me and my pals all tramping up to the barber on the last day of the summer holidays and getting tram lines and all sorts shaved into our Barnet.

Hey pesto, first day back, suspended and another 4 weeks off !!

I was expelled at 14 and left school for good, so my “free as a bird” attitude didn’t exactly add to my education ! Lol 

Fast forward 30 years and I actually think it’s a good thing that schools make rules about dress, hair etc........

Its the point really that in life you can’t just cut about doing whatever the f**k you like, sometimes there’s a standard to follow and you must follow it.........a bit pathetic at first glance but like most of the best lessons, it’s small things that teach you the most.

Like making your bed and keeping your kit square........small things that mean so much more.

Wanker parents love to jump on this sort of thing, in reality they would do better to support the school, volunteer and work at making a true home/school partnership.

Edited by WILF
  • Like 7

i went to a comp in the 70,s....no uniform,,,,no restictions on dress....lads that were punk dresed in punk gear...lads that were mods dressed like it,,,,ect ect ect.....

and you can see from my spelling punctuation and amazing gramer it was quality education....:icon_redface:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7
4 minutes ago, TOMO said:

i went to a comp in the 70,s....no uniform,,,,no restictions on dress....lads that were punk dresed in punk gear...lads that were mods dressed like it,,,,ect ect ect.....

and you can see from my spelling punctuation and amazing gramer it was quality education....:icon_redface:

A description blokes like me of a certain age recognise mate.

Schools by and large are a million miles in front of what we experienced as kids, young people are better too imho

In my experience, lads like me who were wankers at school stayed wankers.......they did f**k all with their life except fall in and out of work / the pub / drugs and never had a penny to scratch their arse with.

They contributed f**k all to the world.

The kids that just conformed and got on with it seemed to go off and have much happier and productive  lives.

Getting involved with schools opened my eyes and made me a better parent I think.

• Like 2

As much as I hate to admit mate I went to school with 2 cannabis leafs shaved into my head at the age of about 13 and keep it for a good few weeks, few laughs but no aggro from the teachers but I did go to school in Wallsend North Tyneside and it was the least of there problems haha 

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, WILF said:

Oddly enough something I have personal experience of.

its nothing new, schools were doing this 30 years ago.

i remember me and my pals all tramping up to the barber on the last day of the summer holidays and getting tram lines and all sorts shaved into our Barnet.

Hey pesto, first day back, suspended and another 4 weeks off !!

I was expelled at 14 and left school for good, so my “free as a bird” attitude didn’t exactly add to my education ! Lol 

Fast forward 30 years and I actually think it’s a good thing that schools make rules about dress, hair etc........

Its the point really that in life you can’t just cut about doing whatever the f**k you like, sometimes there’s a standard to follow and you must follow it.........a bit pathetic at first glance but like most of the best lessons, it’s small things that teach you the most.

Like making your bed and keeping your kit square........small things that mean so much more.

Wanker parents love to jump on this sort of thing, in reality they would do better to support the school, volunteer and work at making a true home/school partnership.

That's all well and good but what's the need to dictate to kids the one aspect of their appearance they do have some freedom over? And if it really is necessary then what is so wrong with that style? The world is changing and short back and sides ain't the only smart look anymore. Tuck ya shirt in, tie up and long, clean appearance and well mannered but hair seriously? It's bollocks imo.

Rather than forcing kids to comply, why not show them the benefits of a smart and sharp appearance and let them decide if it's worth it.

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 3
13 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

That's all well and good but what's the need to dictate to kids the one aspect of their appearance they do have some freedom over? And if it really is necessary then what is so wrong with that style? The world is changing and short back and sides ain't the only smart look anymore. Tuck ya shirt in, tie up and long, clean appearance and well mannered but hair seriously? It's bollocks imo.

Rather than forcing kids to comply, why not show them the benefits of a smart and sharp appearance and let them decide if it's worth it.

I understand your point mate, but I genuinely think you would think differently if you were involved in the day to day going’s on of a school.

Just listening to some parents at parents evening would almost instantly make you realise why small potatoes like this matter pal.

i sort of think, you ain’t there to “express yourself”......you are there to get the f**k on with it and not be a dick.

Edited by WILF
  • Like 4
1 minute ago, WILF said:

I understand your point mate, but I genuinely think you would think differently if you were involved in the day to day going’s on of a school.

Just listening to some parents at parents evening would almost instantly make you realise why small potatoes like this matter pal.

Fair enough. That aspect of it I have no experience of. My, perhaps naive, view of school is that we should be setting kids up for the real world. That don't mean totalitarianism and forcing kids to conform, that means showing them that life is all about choices and how you choose to present and carry yourself is what will make you as an adult. The smart and sharp appearance of a modern gent gets a man immediate respect from his peers and opens doors that the scruffy ill mannered man doesn't. By just forcing kids to comply without showing them the choice or the consequences what have you taught them? IMO all that "do as your told, because I said so" attitude achieves is submission from passive kids and rebellion from the rest. Have they learnt the lesson that you actually wanted to teach them?

Life's all about choices. Authority will always exist but when it becomes a bit overzealous like in this case I think it's a recipe for f**k all good.

Seems bollocks to me but you're a parent and I'm not. :thumbs:

• Like 2

I agree with BH to a certain degree, but the reality IMO is that school isn't about preparing you for the real world. That's the parents' job. Far too many parents pass the buck and are ready to blame anybody and everybody but themselves if their kid turns out a dickhead. I can't see anything wrong with the kid's haircut myself, but there must be a reason it's against school rules. 

We all have to follow rules every day, so getting used to that at an early age seems fair.

My school had a very strict uniform and haircut policy and it didn't do me any harm.  I'm speak well English. 

10 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Fair enough. That aspect of it I have no experience of. My, perhaps naive, view of school is that we should be setting kids up for the real world. That don't mean totalitarianism and forcing kids to conform, that means showing them that life is all about choices and how you choose to present and carry yourself is what will make you as an adult. The smart and sharp appearance of a modern gent gets a man immediate respect from his peers and opens doors that the scruffy ill mannered man doesn't. By just forcing kids to comply without showing them the choice or the consequences what have you taught them? IMO all that "do as your told, because I said so" attitude achieves is submission from passive kids and rebellion from the rest. Have they learnt the lesson that you actually wanted to teach them?

Life's all about choices. Authority will always exist but when it becomes a bit overzealous like in this case I think it's a recipe for f**k all good.

Seems bollocks to me but you're a parent and I'm not. :thumbs:

I totally agree with that mate, but what all these type of reports fail to mention is that schools do exactly as you say in that post......these reports are normally some tit with a massive chip on their shoulder and their enabler parent kicking up a fuss because they don’t want to do as they are f***ing told.

• Like 3

Went to a local grammar school (wastefully) red, yellow, lime green socks were the fashion at the time (early 70's) used to send us home if we turned up in them. Pair in the school bag, put em on after parents dropped us off by school and a day in the park smoking and fooking about.

Thats why I'm skint now :D

Cheers, D.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3