Rescue dogs

Lol and your too old .

Resced a Russel from a farm in Wales years ago kept in a hutch ,yes a hutch and never let out .I was on the mobile towers at the time and she was never let out in the week we stayed there .Liberated would be a better statement .She went into hunt service and proved a handy fox bitch despite her background .

• Like 1

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No rumour DC, the bitch in the lads hands was from a dog rescue center, without her there wouldn't be any of the others in the other pictures. If I could get another that worked like her I'd have

I had a border Russell from the dogs home many years ago when digging was still legal,sadly died of cancer aged 9 but the most sensible level headed dog I,ve ever owned, she would stay down for hours,

Speaking of getting pups that were bred and handed back, my mate had a border/patt x staff/patt bitch about 9yrs ago, she came up from Cork, handy wee bitch. He asked me could he put my Lakeland over

Posted Images

I remember my old man getting a Russell bitch of a old dear  she'd been killing neighbours cats the final straw was she got in a garden and killed some chickens and his pet rabbits so he got him for my brother for rabbiting first day out of we go she took to it like a duck to water second day she fly's to ground afox bolted straight away but patch is still below so being the youngest I'm sent home with a few threats to be quick for a spade as I got back they managed to get her and a dead fox we weren't allowed to take her out after she became one of my old mans digging dogs always sat in the front seat of his cortina she was a character to as a slaughter man he cooked wesels throttles heads anything really in a big pan outside patch always sat and guarded the pan lived in the out house and slept either in the washing basket or pushing teddy out of his bed i wouldn't mind getting something like her a real character died a good age to 

Edited by blackmaggie
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1
22 minutes ago, blackmaggie said:

I remember my old man getting a Russell bitch of a old dear  she'd been killing neighbours cats the final straw was she got in a garden and killed some chickens and his pet rabbits so he got him for my brother for rabbiting first day out of we go she took to it like a duck to water second day she fly's to ground afox bolted straight away but patch is still below so being the youngest I'm sent home with a few threats to be quick for a spade as I got back they managed to get her and a dead fox we weren't allowed to take her out after she became one of my old mans digging dogs always sat in the front seat of his cortina she was a character to as a slaughter man he cooked wesels throttles heads anything really in a big pan outside patch always sat and guarded the pan lived in the out house and slept either in the washing basket or pushing teddy out of his bed i wouldn't mind getting something like her a real character died a good age to 

Think most Russell's got bit of character about them ,my stepsons pet one misses him like crazy when he's at college or his mates,will sleep in his bed or his clothes,if he's out back an you say the lads name he starts jumping up at the back door ?

The dogs kills so far are a rat when at 6 months old,an it killed one of my chickens when I had them.?

• Like 1

i took a little lakie bitch of a fella years ago he was beating the crap out of the dog as he had goshawks and had 7 pegged out on the lawn and the young 9 month old lakie bitch got out and killed the lot i could see why he wasnt best pleased but to see what was happening to her i step in and took the bitch after a  couple of months she d settled in and healed turned out a real cracker and what a little character she was sadly died to ground   

• Like 1

Know a guy got talked into taken a Russel by his wife,her sister had it for years it slept inside on her knee all day,so he took it on and tried it one day and it went to ground straight away and worked fox like a pro.he had many years hunting with her but sadly lost her 2 ground because of a failed collar.he spent days and nights at the burrow but she never returned

There was a time when a visit to the local Cat n Dog shelter could prove fruitful. I witnessed a period when the favourite type of pet dog changed from little white dogs to little red dogs. There used to be loads of good quality red Lakeland types being bred and lots ended up needing rehoming as they were not ideally suited to a sedate family pet existence. Most were well bred or only a generation or so removed from good breeding. Seen a few bought for a song from animal sanctuaries that made proper grafters. There was also a time when a football manager could shout down a pit shaft and end up with a descent starting 11 for Newcastle United. But I know that is a myth (would still end up with better players than we see now but where wouId a person find a pit shaft in the UK?).

I have always valued breeding. Not that I have contributed to it or continued lines but for my own piece of mind. If you take on a dog of unknown pedigree, and I'm not talking about bits of paper, and it seems not to be making the grade, then you can always assume that the animal is lacking. You took a chance, gave it try, no good, dogs fault. If you know that the dog is from generation after generation of quality then a man may question himself and persevere rather that blame the dog. Possibly end up with a success rather then a failure if you know that you started out with real quality.

I have found other peoples cast offs that suited me. Whippets. Not KC. Racing bred that failed to live up to expectation. Given limitation to their physical size when it came to speed, agility "prey drive", trainability and even nose  I've had a few that knocked the spots of supposedly well bred lurchers. 

• Like 3

I've always said if the only reason I'd keep a dog was as a pet then I'd do some poor mutt a favour and take him out of a shelter. But mentioning cats and dogs homes there reminds me of a very well known Dublin dog man who back in the times of the trials had a line of workers who gained a nick name as good workers. Their common name was given to them by other dogmen as he used his own prefix but such was the demand for his line that he openly admitted to me that he couldn't get enough out of the cats and dogs homes to sell. And a lot of them worked too.

Regarding getting a terrier because it became a cat killer in a pet home. That's the oldest trick in the book and old timers regularly used to place well bred pups in pet homes knowing that when the well reared pup woke up that he'd get a call to come and get this b*****d out of here. That was a common thing.

• Like 5

Had a couple good rescue dogs, one was a staffy bitch, rescued her from a fool who booted her if she didn't draw Charlie after a dig, I stopped her from being pts and she went on to b a great ferreting bitch she'd mark, hold netted coney and she was one of the best ratting dogs iv seen. Got a whippet from dog p and he was all round rabbiting dog and took much more. A lot of dogs in rescue have been dumped there for not making the grade, my opinion it's the owners who don't make the grade. 

On 22/02/2018 at 19:40, dillydog said:

If you see something you like and you can give it a fair chance to blossom then why not ?

I wouldn't advocate doing it when there's other options on the table, much better to find a well bred pup and put some time and effort into it.

It's a long story how I came by Jess but the short version is I gave it a chance because I was going professional and it would at least give a decent terrier a rest when she was out instead. I chucked everything and kitchen sink at the bitch, it sounds c**t' ish but she didn't mean anything to me so I just kept piling on the graft. She never missed a beat, she made everything look easy and soon earned her place in my yard.

Would I do it again. .......no, because I'm a terrier SNOB and it's beneath me ??

The fact that she worked that well and then went on to produce the goods I'd say there's a pretty good chance that she was a decent bred terrier that just happened to end up in a pound.

• Like 4

Speaking of getting pups that were bred and handed back, my mate had a border/patt x staff/patt bitch about 9yrs ago, she came up from Cork, handy wee bitch. He asked me could he put my Lakeland over her.

So she'd  5 pups. I took a dog and a bitch, both never made the grade. He gave his grandad one his sister one and his mate one. His mates one got out of the yard never to be seen again. His granddad still has his. His sisters one she called Marley, because I remember the film "Marley and me" was out at the time.

She handed him back to us at 8 months old because he'd the furniture ruined legs eaten of chairs and tables and sofas, she reckoned he was half beaver and stone mad at that!

So I gave it to my mate and the dog flew to ground had 14 digs over it first season. Sadly got knocked down on the road outside my mates farm during the summer while they where out exercising in the field beside the lough. Always wondered how he'd of turned out.

IMG_5178.PNG

Edited by THE GENERAL
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1