Clean Water

I've been following the Cape Town story with interest over the last few months. For those unfamiliar with the story, their three-year drought has been so severe that they're on the verge of running out of water completely. They were due to run completely dry on April 12th but with drastic water rationing down to 50 litres a day they've been able to push "Day Zero" back to June 4th. While hardly comforting it is giving them time find a solution or hope that it will rain!

A bit closer to where I'm sat the state of California had a five-year drought that was literally quashed at the 11th hour, last year as the state received record rainfall just as the city of Los Angeles was wondering what the f*ck it was going to do. They'd even reached the point of paying people to rip up their lawns and desert-scape them instead to stop the abuse of sprinkler systems. Flash forward to this month and already the drought conditions are starting to return as the winter rains haven't come. How this will affect them is anyone's guess at this point but with increasingly hotter summers, and milder winters, the future will require some serious adaptation.

What the f*ck has this got to do with us, Chris?

A search of the Top 10 cities likely to suffer similar issues is London. The current use versus resupply model suggests that London could have supply problems by 2025, and serious shortages by 2040 which considering the rainfall in the UK shows just how much water is used/wasted on an annual basis. Now climate change is a hoax as our THL experts have concluded but the hotter summers combined with milder winters, not to mention population growth challenging the supply/demand problem that figure could shift as the population is predicted to top 13 million.

The question is what measures could we adopt, as a first world country, to prevent us following the model of a recently declared 'sh*th*le?'

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Because we pay for their water, as well as ours !  Just £3 a month will supply clean water ???? I think I'll live over there - mine is £25 !!!!

Once we blow up the 2 Severn bridges an the wye and bigsweir bridge they can only come down from ross on wye ?

Did you know that Evian spelt backwards is naivE?

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, ChrisJones said:

The question is what measures could we adopt, as a first world country, to prevent us following the model of a recently declared 'sh*th*le?'

Build a wall around the M25 to stop them raiding ours and buy shares in Evian! 

2 minutes ago, jiggy said:

I could understand it been a problem in Africa but the rest of the first world countries can go to aldi or Lidl. There is is almost one in every town.

True but this is your mains supply. How much bottled water would you have to lug from Aldi to cover your daily requirements at 3 gallons a flush? I know there are a few lads on here that work in utilities... has the leakage issue gotten any better in the last 15 years? I know a huge issue was treated water bubbling up from cracked infrastructure.

I'm not sure how it is in the UK but how much of your bottled water comes from natural sources versus purified tap water?

3 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Ain’t water recycled?? If so how can we run out? add that to act we a fcuking island? We will just have to start flushing bog an havin a bath in salt water??

That's what I thought but the volume of draw off is higher than the volume of put in, hence the concern.

1 minute ago, forest of dean redneck said:

I live in Wales what's this water shortage you doth speaketh  of?

Not seen anything for Wales but if people flee the cities for clean water you could be up to your armpits in cockneys by 2040!  :icon_eek:

• Like 1
Just now, ChrisJones said:

That's what I thought but the volume of draw off is higher than the volume of put in, hence the concern.

Not seen anything for Wales but if people flee the cities for clean water you could be up to your armpits in cockneys by 2040!  :icon_eek:

Once we blow up the 2 Severn bridges an the wye and bigsweir bridge they can only come down from ross on wye ?

• Haha 4
5 minutes ago, ChrisJones said:

True but this is your mains supply. How much bottled water would you have to lug from Aldi to cover your daily requirements at 3 gallons a flush? I know there are a few lads on here that work in utilities... has the leakage issue gotten any better in the last 15 years? I know a huge issue was treated water bubbling up from cracked infrastructure.

I'm not sure how it is in the UK but how much of your bottled water comes from natural sources versus purified tap water?

I'm in Ireland and over 40% and up to 60% of treated water is lost in leaking pipes. Terrible shame that the government doesn't see value for money in fixing the leaks but I don't see how that would help areas like Africa. Money is the problem and if there was more of it then they could drill more wells.

6 minutes ago, ChrisJones said:

That’s why Walshie fcuked of to Wales , no flies on that old boy ...:whistling:

• Haha 2
3 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Let’s face fact tho if it ain’t water summat gotta give at some point ya the way the world is growing?

But yet the populations boom in poorer countries when the lack of water should slow population growth. They still get by somehow.

1 minute ago, jiggy said:

I'm in Ireland and over 40% and up to 60% of treated water is lost in leaking pipes. Terrible shame that the government doesn't see value for money in fixing the leaks but I don't see how that would help areas like Africa. Money is the problem and if there was more of it then they could drill more wells.

Los Angeles is about 420 miles from where I'm sat. Their biggest issue was the amount of water they draw from underground lakes versus the amount of natural replenishment. The US is by far the largest water user in the world but the UK is now an importer as it can only produce around 40% of its supply. The average person uses 150 litres a day and that's a lot of lugging from Aldi. Cape Town is having the same problem as Los Angeles only on a scale harsher due to it's geographical location.

1 minute ago, W. Katchum said:

Let’s face fact tho if it ain’t water summat gotta give at some point ya the way the world is growing?

I agree I don't see how more people and fewer resources can be helping anyone.