Sign in to follow this  
ollieollie

New perms at the end of the season

As a lot of us are aware this year has seen a drop in numbers for the ferreter. So its sods law that i have picked up 2 new permissions today and yesterday just as we are coming to the end of the season. One is a 5 acre paddock with 3 good active warrens on it and the digging will be ok, it is also surrounded by land so further opportunities are very possible once i am noticed. The other is a plant nursery with a huge wooded bank that is like the london underground, this could be a very productive perm by this seasons standards but the digging will be most unfavourable.

I will work them hard into march(until it becomes unbearable) to show i am serious and leave a good impression and then lamp with the air rifle(nothing bigger is suitable) periodically to keep my foot in the door. 

Why couldn't this happen in october   

you always get a load of phone calls from new permissions as the rabbits start breeding and folk see the young rabbits about and think they have loads of rabbits , i find its best to make a appearance and snare or trap if you cant ferret the burrows and lamp it at night  anything to get your foot in the door and fill the freezers with rabbits for the summer for the ferrets 

Just be thankful that it has.. a chance to fill the freezer for the off season 

• Like 1

Surprising how many farmers and landowners see you ferreting next to their land and ask you to do a bit for them.You soon pick up some permission.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By codmaster127
      iam after a hob smallish one not bothered about colour must be from good workers last few ive had havnt made the grade , sunderland/durham areas if poss , 
    • By vin
      Hello all.
      I've just been kicked off a Facebook site for arguing the present day value of a ferret with the site admins etc.
      I know this site has a few more educated, older, wiser and genuine hunting members.
      My point of view is... why sell a well bred working strain/line of ferret kit to a random stranger for £5-10 pounds?
      It's all well and good doing mates favours and gifting them to each other to keep the bloodlines varied within working lines etc. 
      But £10 ... it's not the value of a packet of cigarettes etc.. how can that do the humble little warriors any justice in this day and age?
      It's no wonder all the rescues are full of ferrets and people just dump them at the end of the season rather than feed them all summer etc.  
      I really do think that £50 is a reasonable minimum price and £100 should not be too expensive for a seriously well-bred worker that has had a lot of time and effort put into the rearing and handling etc. I would go as far as to say a worker should be worth at least £100 in this modern world we are now living in. I'm not trying to start an argument but come on chaps..how much was your phone..? how much petrol/diesel did you put in the vehicle to take you hunting? how much for a locator/collar, nets,  FFsake how much for the McDonalds on the way? 
      it's not about the money... it's about the value of our underground champions.
      Come on chaps it's up to us to set the standards for the future.

• By Yorkshire Ferreter
      Does anyone else work a springer spaniel out ferreting? Saturdays in the eating line, Sundays in the hedgerow with the ferrets.

• By hily
      Well out on Friday  with the ferrets what along day ! .Had to check out three new plantations that I cleared back in NOV. Owner thinks rabbits are still getting past the netting .So had a look but no signs of damage but he's the boss so spent best part of the day netting up for nowt .Lost me little lakey cross last year she was good company when out and about if she marked a set it was occupied if not we moved on saved a lot of time . Anyway did a couple of hedges ended up with 4 .plus two rats with the shovel would have been more if pip had been still with me.
      Cant get another terrier yet as just taken on a new gundog pup to try and train .But maybe in the future .

• By mrstinker
      I am unfortunately going to have to re home my girls. I have 3 pole jills 2 are related and one it unrelated all workers and from working stock. 
      I dont have the time to get them out working as offen as i should and in my opinion thats not fair on the little monsters.
      They will be going with a full set up il try to list everything but will miss bits.
      3 jills 
      10"x6"x4" run with large hutch
      Another backup hutch
      Bits for the cage bowls trays tubes ect
      Food
      Travel box
      Feild box
      Locator and collar
      Nets
      All to go dont want them to go without as theve got used to lots of space
      There all tame nip when hungry bless them but so do i haha
      Not asking for any money all i want is for them to go to a good home.
      Syiu will need a large van Or trailer to move all this. The cage does come apart into panels. But is all quite bulky.
      Iv attached a few pics sorry there abit ropey but phones knackered 
      Please only serious enquiries 
      We are in Eastleigh, Southampton 
      Message me for a contact number