Vaxhall Frontera

What ever you go for,,,Get some good All Terrain tyres and you'll be Ok,,I have a defender 90 myself and just put some 265 Insa turbo special tracks on,,,Its now invincible off road although these tyres are 80% off and 20

% on road so you probably wanna go with something a little quieter on road as myn now sounds like a tank,,,all the best ;)

The noise wouldn't bother me. Do they have a shorter life span when used on the road? compared to normal road tyres that is?

all terrains genaraly aint bad for wearing down any quicker.its when you go all out and put full mud tyres on that you get a problem. decent all terrains should last a good while

• 2 months later...
Looks like you can pick these up fairly cheep. Loads of room but are they any use off road?

Muddy fields etc, not serious off road.

Ploughed and grass fields mainly?

Any advice appreciated.

We used to use them as work vehicles for events, towing trailer and kit all over the UK. We used Frontera Sports, the newer shape. They are up the miles, took a bit of stick and were never a problem off road (mostly in fields etc).

I'll be honest we never had a problem with them. The only minus points, and they are personal are the ride was a little soft and wobbly and the seating possition was too £feet forward" like a pick up, as oposed to sitting up "feet down" like in a Land Rover or larger 4x4.

All in all; not really designed as a worker, but certanly much much better than they are given credit for. Would I buy one? I'd be hard pressed to justify it with a good 300tdi Disco for similar money. But I do like them and if I was after a smaller 2/3 door 4x4 it would be high on my list for the price.

Dont forget to put in into reverse to take it out of 4 wheel drive!! Fronteras are a joke!

i think frontera's are shite also....but most 4x4's have to be reversed to take them out of 4 wheel drive properly.. ;)

Typical responses here then.

I bet that all the people in this thread that are making negative comments about Frontera's have never even been in one let alone driven one off road. How can you call something shite that you have never driven.

I have owned 2 Fronteras and they are great.

If you are going off road, I'd suggest the SWB version as the LWB tends to ground out over heavy terrain. Both of mine have been 2.0 petrol SWB models and both managed really well off road with Collway MT tyres on them. A couple of lads I used to go out with have heavily modified Frontera's, with winches and everything and they look great and perform well too.

Main advantages to Fronteras over landy's are you have reliable heaters and door seals. You tend not to take on water when wading, which is a bonus.

One of the guys in our club used to trial his against Disco's, 90's and 110's and he'd regularly finish top 5 out of a field of 30 or so, so that shows how good they are.

They are cheap to buy and cheap to fix as most parts engine wise for the 2.0 at least are cavalier based and readily available, especially from the local scrappie. Not sure on repair costs outside this model mind. Mine never broke down though or needed repairing after a heavy off road session. In fact the most damage I did to mine was to rip out the electrics on my tow bar, when I was stupid enough tp run one.

Mine also saved my life when I was rear ended by an articulated truck. I'd just sold my Golf GTi 6 days earlier for the Frontera and the insurance accesor reckons had I of been in the Golf I wouldn't of survived the crash.

Here's some pics of mine for all the non believers. if you look at the last pic at the Landy 90 in the background you get an idea of the angle, steepness and height of the incline my shite pretend off roader could reach.

normal_Picture654.jpg

normal_Picture644.jpg

normal_Picture634.jpg

normal_Picture618.jpg

normal_Picture612.jpg

normal_P1010007.jpg

Edited by Devon