Pup with itchy skin

My terrier pup has red itchy skin which is making him miserable,I’ve had him to the vets and think it could have been caused by a flea bite which the pups skin has reacted to which has caused a viral infection,he’s now on antibiotics,a flea spot on from vets as they said it’s a better one than I was using,I’ve also changed his food this morning to a grain free complete salmon & potato from wainwrights,he was on James well beloved rice & turkey. My dogs sleep on tuffie beds which are cleaned regularly,my other dogs are  not itching & they are all treated with virbac spot on & virbac Kennel spray.anyone had a similar problem  & what was the outcome? Cheers.

I had a similar thing with one of my terriers, it wasn’t from a flea bite though. She had a intolerance to something so my vet told me to go to boots and buy a bottle of vitamin b complex and put it in her food, it worked a treat. He said he could have prescribed me something expensive that would have done the same job but he’s not out here to fleece people. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, mandog said:

mites

The way he was nibbling his front legs you would think it was mites but he shares a kennel with 2 other  dogs which aren’t nibbling.i can’t get duramitex now which is for pigeon lofts (red mites) I used to do the kennels once a year & dip the dogs in it never had any problems with mites fleas etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Turns out the itchy skin was caused by a parasite called Demodex canis, its unusual for it to be passed from dog to dog and is most likely caused by the upset of leaving its Dam and other pups as pups immune systems are low at this point, I had never heard of it.

• Thanks 1
57 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

Most dogs have the mite but only affects as you say if immune system is down.If it keeps up the dog might have an underlying illness or weakness.

Fingers crossed he’s  much better now,they gave him simparica which made a big difference in under 24 hr. I hope it’s just been a blip as he’s strong typical terrier but I will keep an eye on him.cheers.

• Like 1
On 18/02/2018 at 09:29, Str said:

My terrier pup has red itchy skin which is making him miserable,I’ve had him to the vets and think it could have been caused by a flea bite which the pups skin has reacted to which has caused a viral infection,he’s now on antibiotics,a flea spot on from vets as they said it’s a better one than I was using,I’ve also changed his food this morning to a grain free complete salmon & potato from wainwrights,he was on James well beloved rice & turkey. My dogs sleep on tuffie beds which are cleaned regularly,my other dogs are  not itching & they are all treated with virbac spot on & virbac Kennel spray.anyone had a similar problem  & what was the outcome? Cheers.

I had a greyhound that had really sensitive skin mate sounds just like that red and abit flaky he would try chew it all the time we used to use some kind of lotion on him that was for horses and uses to clear it up could be dust or anything causing it. I will phone my grandad later as he is the one who gave it to me he used to race the greys 

• Like 1