A very polite rejection

The same as many of you are, I’m on the look out for permissions at the moment. I’ve done a bit of door knocking a while back but with little luck (I was a bit younger then and probably came across as too young). I decided to wing it a little and send out some letters to a couple of farms and golf courses in the area. In fairness I didn’t think I’d even get a response and I’d prefer the chance to meet people in person as it’s to put myself across to them. A letter can seem very impersonal but what the hell, worth a bash! 

I wrote a nice cover letter and used the waiver and permission form from the forum. I only sent out 6 and sent them with proof of my BASC membership and a self addressed stamped envelope for response.  I didn’t expect to hear and I only sent 6 as a ‘well if it gets me something great, if not oh well I’ve not taken out a mortgage to buy stamps’. 

I am at work today and in the middle of my luch i get a phonecall from a local number. I answer it and it was one of the farmers I had written to. My jaw almost hit the deck, I only sent them Friday. It was a very polite ‘thanks but no thanks’ call and he said he would bare me in mind for the future. Very polite and even said ‘but thank you very much for the nice letter’. 

When he said he had as many shooters as he needed at the moment I said ‘that’s not a problem at all I appreciate the call! Thanks for considering me’ and that was that. It pays to be nice and you never know, he might call me back in future. Just crazy how quick it all happened and even though it was a no... it was appreciated. 

So to those getting into things and looking for permissions, keep at it, even a no can make your day sometimes. You will get there! 

• Like 8

It was nice of them to respond :thumbs:

Now, I'll let you in to a little secret that those of us in the know have known for a while ;)

........ The best way to get permission is to show these no-nonsense farmer types that you're capable and serious :yes:

Here's what you do - you park a little way away so that your approach isn't seen. Then, in the wee small hours, you sneak onto the farmers land, all camo'd up, with your rifle.

You stay all night and shoot as many rabbits as you can.

Then, when the sun's up and the farmer is leaving his house for work, you emerge from the undergrowth, rifle in one hand, dead rabbits in the other and, you tell him what you've done and show him the proof.

........ Don't forget to offer him one rabbit as a sweetner - one of the smaller ones will do, they're generally not a fussy bunch these farmers.

I reckon he'll be so pleased that an armed man was on his property all night, taking care of his pest problem, without him even knowing, you'll be given permission on the spot.

...... He'll probably even tell all of his mates :yes:

Good luck :thumbs:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
3 minutes ago, Jonjon79 said:

Now, I'll let you in to a little secret that those of us in the know have known for a while ;)

........ The best way to get permission is to show these no-nonsense farmer types that you're capable and serious :yes:

Here's what you do - you park a little way away so that your approach isn't seen. Then, in the wee small hours, you sneak onto the farmers land, all camo'd up, with your rifle.

Then, when the sun's up and the farmer is leaving his house for work, you emerge from the undergrowth, rifle in one hand, dead rabbits in the other and, you tell him what you've done and show him the proof.

........ Don't forget to offer him one rabbit as a sweetner - one of the smaller ones will do, they're generally not a fussy bunch these farmers.

I reckon he'll be so pleased that an armed man was on his property all night, taking care of his pest problem, without him even knowing, you'll be given permission on the spot.

I can imagine this would work a treat... should I gut them on his doorstep too? :rofl:

• Haha 3
2 hours ago, Rabid said:

I hope your not poaching my permissions !

No idea ? I didn’t ask what permissions you had my way. And as I say, it was a rejection... I ain’t poaching anything.  Besides, you’ve seen how I shoot. I wouldn’t be worried, even if I do there will Be plenty for you to shoot still ?

3 hours ago, Jonjon79 said:

The worrying thing is I can now see someone trying that ?

• Haha 2

My shooting partner and myself picked up two new perms on Thursday and both were gained because we were able to do a bit of name dropping regarding perms we shoot on already. Farmers know farmers, the hard bit is getting the first perm but once you do get one, drop his name in passing with other farmers.

The things I have found has the best impact with farmers is ' I shoot rats, crows and feral pigeons ' because everyone wants rabbits and wood pigeon so go for vermin that really are pests.

Next week and the week after we have been asked to go and talk to a couple more farmers about shooting which is another 2600 acres including some. cracking woodland. It is surprising how things can come together and to have land owners contact you to come and do a job for them.

Just keep tapping away and use every contact you have and don't forget to ask everyone you know if they know anybody. That is the best introduction you can get.

Phil

37 minutes ago, philpot said:

My shooting partner and myself picked up two new perms on Thursday and both were gained because we were able to do a bit of name dropping regarding perms we shoot on already. Farmers know farmers, the hard bit is getting the first perm but once you do get one, drop his name in passing with other farmers.

The things I have found has the best impact with farmers is ' I shoot rats, crows and feral pigeons ' because everyone wants rabbits and wood pigeon so go for vermin that really are pests.

Next week and the week after we have been asked to go and talk to a couple more farmers about shooting which is another 2600 acres including some. cracking woodland. It is surprising how things can come together and to have land owners contact you to come and do a job for them.

Just keep tapping away and use every contact you have and don't forget to ask everyone you know if they know anybody. That is the best introduction you can get.

Phil

True that mate 99% of new comers knock on and as to shoot rabbits hare pigeon ect ect ...

best off nocking on and asking to shoot rats ,ferral pigeons crows and magpies ..

then after couple visits plink of the odd pigeon and rabbit and go from there 

42 minutes ago, charlie caller said:

Seriously, it was good that you got a reply, put a note in your diary, and in six months, call in to see that very farmer, thank him once again for his reply and ask if anything has changed, it may well have.

Cracking advice. Cheers Dude! 

I wouldn't do it in 6 months, be in harvest then and plenty to think about/worrying him than some fella wanting to shoot.

make it 3 months and the wheat will be up and he will be looking at crop damage by then if he has any rabbits, farmers are a funny breed.

• Like 1