A fill your boots loan from Si Brown

As you all probably know, Si bought a new .177 hw99s a few weeks back and gave it his famous fettle, I will let him comment on what was done as he's far more in the know than I am. 

After a few conversations Si asked me for my address and said the hw was heading to Anglesey for me to have a play with and it arrived last night (much to my delight!!!!).

What can I say. We all know of the potential of these rifles as we've all read about the Imp and what it can do so i was looking forward to some target practice today.

After a quick job this morning I got in and put a cheap and cheerful EB 3-9×40 SCOPE on her and zeroed in to 30 yards. 

After a few practice shots and getting used to a Springer again I set up the target paper shown below and set about 5 shots per target rested from the kitchen window down the garden. The results speak for themselves. I've owned and shot springers costing almost 3 times the price of these 99s and this felt equal to any of them.

It has a very snappy cycle and it does go off with a pop with no moderator but smooth as silk thanks to Si's handy work.

There will be more to come about this little beast before i send it off home to it's very generous owner as im going to get it out on the coneys very soon. 

Thanks for reading lads and once again Si,  thank you VERY much for sending it over pal ???

20180216_155925-2016x678.thumb.jpg.0dd24fe2fd49d6c9a40eeb8bb181e629.jpg

The 5pence is next to the first and worst group to give you an idea of what the others are like??

20180216_155722-1512x2016.thumb.jpg.0d05ee70aee1212fb8e95bd413a1cf62.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I want it back... I didn't get groups that good and that was with a parallax scope:cray:

only kidding... your welcome matt:thumbs: for £200 and a few hours tinkering there an unbelievable bit of kit!!

vm/mitch was right though, aft about 100 shots it started destroying itself and needed a bit of stuff doing!

have fun with it matt and fill a bag or two..

cheers si

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, mattwhite said:

As you all probably know, Si bought a new .177 hw99s a few weeks back and gave it his famous fettle, I will let him comment on what was done as he's far more in the know than I am. 

After a few conversations Si asked me for my address and said the hw was heading to Anglesey for me to have a play with and it arrived last night (much to my delight!!!!).

What can I say. We all know of the potential of these rifles as we've all read about the Imp and what it can do so i was looking forward to some target practice today.

After a quick job this morning I got in and put a cheap and cheerful EB 3-9×40 SCOPE on her and zeroed in to 30 yards. 

After a few practice shots and getting used to a Springer again I set up the target paper shown below and set about 5 shots per target rested from the kitchen window down the garden. The results speak for themselves. I've owned and shot springers costing almost 3 times the price of these 99s and this felt equal to any of them.

It has a very snappy cycle and it does go off with a pop with no moderator but smooth as silk thanks to Si's handy work.

There will be more to come about this little beast before i send it off home to it's very generous owner as im going to get it out on the coneys very soon. 

Thanks for reading lads and once again Si,  thank you VERY much for sending it over pal ???

20180216_155925-2016x678.thumb.jpg.0dd24fe2fd49d6c9a40eeb8bb181e629.jpg

The 5pence is next to the first and worst group to give you an idea of what the others are like??

20180216_155722-1512x2016.thumb.jpg.0d05ee70aee1212fb8e95bd413a1cf62.jpg

First one top left taken with the 99

the rest were taken with his

secret hw100 that he has not told any one about apart from me 

He has been talking to much to the WIG (Mark Williams)

Next it will be frozen pigeons for weeks before a pic of them all together :whistling:

as if he has just shot them .:laugh:

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, bigmac 97kt said:

First one top left taken with the 99

the rest were taken with his

secret hw100 that he has not told any one about apart from me 

He has been talking to much to the WIG (Mark Williams)

Next it will be frozen pigeons for weeks before a pic of them all together :whistling:

as if he has just shot them .:laugh:

Tell me again Jimmy, why you have the title "cheif shit stirrer"??

• Haha 2
47 minutes ago, bigmac 97kt said:

Ok ill put the SPOON AWAY

NOT:rofl:

ATVBJIMMY:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Joking apart Jimmy it's a cracking rifle. When you consider the weight difference from the more flagship models from the likes of AA and weihrauch etc it's not trying to dislodge your fillings and a lot of that is down to Si's fettling??

13 minutes ago, villaman said:

Good lad is Si :toast:

these guns are great and even better in .22 :whistling:

got to admit its way easier to tame a .22 and keep it at a good hunting power!

I only got this as a test just to see what it was all about as I knew the .177 was the challenge!

when it started grinding I kind of new what to expect cos it basically runs the same as a 35 but that delrin insert is way to much even with the spring taken out.. still

needed to give it a shave :( why would they send them out like this being aware of the problem??

it was gouging fcuk out of the underside of the comp tube and if id carried on would of left it for the scrap bin!!

• Like 2
19 hours ago, si brown said:

got to admit its way easier to tame a .22 and keep it at a good hunting power!

I only got this as a test just to see what it was all about as I knew the .177 was the challenge!

when it started grinding I kind of new what to expect cos it basically runs the same as a 35 but that delrin insert is way to much even with the spring taken out.. still

needed to give it a shave :( why would they send them out like this being aware of the problem??

it was gouging fcuk out of the underside of the comp tube and if id carried on would of left it for the scrap bin!!

Well I've just had a very quick wander through a wood on a perm on the way back from a job and lazed a crow at 42 yards Si. A smidge of holdover as I'd zeroed her at 30 yesterday and a lovely heart and lung shot sent it tumbling down the tree.

Unfortunately, its still up there upside down just out of poking down reach but very much dead thanks to the 99s pal??

• Like 1
1 minute ago, si brown said:

can see your gonna do some damage with the little 99 matt, its made for walks in the woods:thumbs:

im contemplating flipping a coin, the rain has stopped and its a bit warmer!!

beer/pub or rabbits:hmm:

Up to now its rabbits for me lol

if it stays warm

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, si brown said:

can see your gonna do some damage with the little 99 matt, its made for walks in the woods:thumbs:

im contemplating flipping a coin, the rain has stopped and its a bit warmer!!

beer/pub or rabbits:hmm:

Rabbits!!!!!!